laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forthcoming Classics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Forthcoming Classics Reply with quote

In reply to Roy Welford & Tony Gage, I can't say too much about what is in preparation here at Laureate because much of it is subject to negotiation and approval. But I can confirm that the Special Editions that we are currently
completing are probably the most ambitious we have ever produced.

In the Coming Soon section of this website, you'll see details of THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM - the auhtoring of which will be completed by next week. The early check-discs reveal that this is the best-ever restoration job we have ever done. For that I have to thank Terry Young ( of Phoenix Video Ltd ), the graphics and moving menus have been brilliantly executed by Christian Saunders ( of the Sanctuary Deli ) and the subtle and highly effective 5.1
Surround mix by Julian MacDonald ( of the Sanctuary Townhouse audio studio ) brings out qualities in the film's soundtrack score by Elmer Bernstein that we've never heard to such good effect.

The other big one is the much-treasured 1942 musical "Holiday Inn" which is presented as Special Diamond Anniversary Edition crammed with "extras." It's a particular pleasure for me because back in the 1970s, I had the great privilege of working with both of the film's stars - Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. Along with the film ( which has been given an exceptional digital restoration
by Universal's technicians in Los Angeles and has never looked better ), we've produced a 45-minute featurette called " A Couple Of Song And Dance Men" in which Fred Astaire's charming daughter, Ava Astaire McKenzie has joined me for a spot of remininscing about her father and Bing Crosby as we trace the lonbg careers of these two giants of 20th century entertainment.

There are other goodies in this package - which also celebrates the 60th anniversary of Irving Berlin's song "White Christmas" and Bing's classic recording which is still the biggest-selling pop single of all time.

The film "Holiday Inn" is an exhilarating and fast-moving musical of the kind they never make these days. But then, there are no stars today like Crosby and Astaire.

Over the last year, we've had a mountain of requests for more musicals. "Holiday Inn" is one of the greatest ever made.

So keep an eye out for Sinatra in Otto Preminger's " THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM" and Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire in Irving Berlin's "HOLIDAY INN." THe latter is being given a big push from Universal Pictures - and will be supplemented by a special CD containing ALL the songs from the 1942 "Holiday Inn" and the 1954 "White Christmas."

So I hope that all this holds at least most of you for a while.

As for the future. Just keep checking with the Laureate website. We're broadening out and there are lots of good things on the horizon.

Thanks for all your continued support.

Ken Barnes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Coming Soon All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: