laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Laureate's Fred/Ginger collection could have been...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Dolce

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: What Laureate's Fred/Ginger collection could have been... Reply with quote

I am once again rewatching my Fred & Ginger DVD collection by Laureate and Universal. It is fine work, and the best example of an Astaire collection on DVD by any means. However! It's beyond me why everyone simply must have films like "Top Hat," when there are clearly better selections in his repertoire to choose from. I'm afraid all of those Astaire/Rogers musicals are terribly overrated! I found the earlier release of "Second Chorus" to be a much more quality film. I would recommend instead of doing another ho-hum Astaire/Rogers collection, for Laureate to produce a collection of Fred Astaire's finer works. Any Astaire collection should first and foremost include his most superb musical of all "Finian's Rainbow." It featured the most knowledgeable director in any of Astaire's dancing films: Francis Ford Coppola. Other good selections would be "The Sky's the Limit," "Let's Dance," and "Band Wagon." "The Sky's the Limit" has exciting numbers such as "One for my Baby" and a fine dancing partner for Astaire in Joan Leslie. In the case of "Let's Dance," the film truly benefits from the very accomodating teaming of Astaire and Betty Hutton. With the exception of the perfectly dreadful number where Fred dances on the piano, this film has some of the most inspiring musical numbers seen in an Astaire movie, the two best examples being "Tunnel of Love" and "Oh, them Dudes!" "Band Wagon" is a classic that really deserves a place on DVD. Does everyone else agree that these underrated gems deserve a DVD collection of their own?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: The Best( ? ) of Fred Astaire Reply with quote

My thanks to Scott Dolce for his complimentary - and provocative - comments. I guess we all have our own favourites ( or otherwise) amongst the 32 musical films that Fred Astaire made.

In the case of the Fred & Ginger box set, I believe that we made a just choice. "Top Hat," in fact, topped the list of requests we had received - with "Swing Time" coming a close second. We omitted the latter because we wanted to save that for the second box ( which I am still hopeful of producing ). As for your other preferred choices,Scott, I have a feeling that you'll be getting some provocative responses from the various fans of Astaire-Rogers fans. But then, this is what our webiste is all about.

Stand by for the flak.

Ken
Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: To each his own however odd Reply with quote

Even if I could somehow fathom someone's actually being frustrated at not having Finian's Rainbow and Let's Dance on DVD, thinking they should have taken the place of Top Hat or any Fred and Ginger picture is pretty bizarre. (I won't comment on The Sky's the Limit or Band Wagon, two of my faves also actually!) It's all pure speculation and opinion, so please don't take offense. However, the only thing I like about Finian's Rainbow are Fred Astaire's songs. I'd prefer to skip Finian's and listen to him sing them on "The Fred Astaire Show," to tell you the truth. In the case of Let's Dance, that is not only bad, it's oftentimes annoying to watch. I don't want to badmouth anybody... (but it's that hyperactive actress!) And you don't like the Piano dance? That's the films one saving grace! Well, that and seeing Fred try to imitate letters, that was something you don't see everyday. Of all Astaire's 31 musicals I can't think of any two I'd rate lower. I'm anxiously awaiting another Fred and Ginger collection I liked the first one so much. Actually, I'd buy a Fred or Ginger solo collection as well, even if it included the films Scott mentioned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Astaire & Rogers Reply with quote

If Scott Dolce wants to say that the Astaire-Rogers films are overrated, he is entitled to his opinion - odd though it is. To me these films represent eternal cinematic art. True, the scripts are mostly fluffy affairs but by their very simplicity they are a perfect platform for the things that really matter - the masterful dance routines, the exquisite songs and the dazzling sets. Moreover, there is a chemistry that sets Fred and Ginger apart from all other dancing partners. To say that a film as pedestrian as "Let's Dance" overshadows the Fred and Ginger films is, to my mind, inconceivable.

As for "Finian's Rainbow," there are many people who would agree that this is a masterpiece. I am not one of them. The three main problems with the film are Coppolla's over-flashy direction, Petula Clark's lacklustre singing and - most of all - the hideous Tommy Steele ( who overacts so
frantically that he makes the film almost unbearable ). On the credit side, the score is one of the best ever written and,of course, Fred brings that much-needed touch of class that is absent whenever he's not on screen.

The box set of Fred and Ginger is one of the most played items in my collection. Please let's have a second box set - and soon.
Dominic McHugh2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more with Jim Patterson than when he calls 'Let's dance' 'pedestrian'. I enjoy a couple of the numbers but the film is cringeworthy. I hate Betty Hutton; maybe it's a personal bias but I cannot see that she has a redeeming feature. It's a shame they used her in 'Annie Get Your Gun', as she was a pathetic replacement for Judy Garland.

'Finian's Rainbow' was a Broadway hit but a disappointing film, with the exception of Fred's performance of course. I fail to see its attractions.

'The Sky's the Limit' is unusually dark and has one of Fred's best routines, but it's way down my list of favourites.

Mark - how did you find out about the release of 'The Band Wagon'? It's the best DVD news I've had all year, an absolutely magical and underrated film. My copy of it on video has completely worn out and I'm ready for a replacement. I love this film! Wish they were doing 'Belle of New York' too!

However, Top Hat remains my all-time favourite Astaire film, and I think you would have to be blind, deaf and very cold-hearted to not respond to it. I find the script genuinely funny, and the songs are relatively 'integrated' with the story, unusually so for that era. It's one of Irving Berlin's best scores - my favourite, actually. I would never be without the Laureate boxset or indeed these films in any format - they are screen magic.

Dominic
Scott Dolce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am happy about Band Wagon on DVD also, but do not agree with the disparaging comments about Betty and "Let's Dance". Hyperactive actress??? Well anyway, I already responded to those type comments in that other topic. I am not angry at all I find this very humourous. And it was a shame Garland had to be replaced in a number of films. Do you still hold that against the other actresses like Ginger, Jane Powell and Susan Hayward? But whether you have a bias or not Betty H. IS Annie Oakley. And I will stick up for her even if you chaps call me bizarre or odd... er wait that's already happened.
Scott Dolce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, it was two others who called my opinion bizarre and odd, but I'm like you I suppose, I like what I like. Thanks, Scott
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Fred & Ginger (films) Reply with quote

Seems even on here we get the ravings of madmen. his most superb musical of all "Finian's Rainbow??????" On which planet would that be? Why is it some people can't see the woods for the trees? It doen't take a lot to read between the lines of the films and understand just how clever a very basic script can be. Some things were made to be and there are very few (working) partnerships that worked out as well as Fred & ginger's so insults of thier partnership are not appreciated. Yes, there may have been better dance partners in later films but none could match an all round entertainer like Ginger. Waiting for the next box set from Laureate. The first one was wonderful and I'm sure the people at Universal will wake up soon and ask Ken to get on with the second box set.
I shall be off now as I have some Fred & Ginger films to watch (as well as a lot of (FRED & GINGER) web pages to finish Smile
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Address Reply with quote

Well the pages I was refering too are not uploaded yet and I may keep them off the net for a while but I could upload part for you too see. Maybe Top Hat? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: