laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Fan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Cary Grant and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Byrd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: New Fan Reply with quote

I had never seen a Cary Grant movie on television before today. I was utterly captivated by him in "Walk Don't Run" which aired on Channel 5. What a movie! I made my way to this messageboard while browsing Cary Grant movies to purchase led me to the Cary Grant 4 DVD box set produced by Laureate. Does anyone know if this is a good collection? I have not seen any of the films in it. "Bringing up Baby", "Operation Petticoat", "My Favourite Wife" and "Indiscreet". Are any of these as good as "Walk Don't Run?" I was a little disappointed that movie was not in the collection. Is it one of Grant's absolute best? He had such good comic scenes, and his chemistry with Samantha Eggar was amazing. It was too brutal they could not end up together themselves! Did they make many movies together? I cannot wait to see more of them. Thank you, Steve
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: THE GREAT CARY GRANT Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Laureate website. Perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask because I produced the box set for Universal. I made the choice of four movies from what was available and the general reaction - both critically and commercially - has been very strong.

If you are thinking of starting a Cary Grant collection, the box set is a good place to begin. BRINGING UP BABY (1938)- with Katherine Hepburn is one of the greatest screwball comedies of all time ( and this marks its first appearance on DVD ), INDISCREET (1958) - with Ingrid Bergan is an excellent romantic comedy with one or two unexpected plot twists that I think you will like. MY FAVORITE WIFE (1940) - with Irene Dunne is also good fun ( it was remade in 1963 as "Move Over Darling" with Doris Day and James Garner. But I still prefer the original ). OPERATION PETTICOAT (1959) - which teams C.G. with Tony Curtis - in a most enjoyable wartime tale thtas action as well as comedy. It became one of Cary Grant's biggest box office hits.

All four films in the box set have been digitally restored to a decent standard and you'll find production notes and full cast and crew profiles.

If I do say so myself, I think you'll enjoy it. Everybody else seems to.

Good luck, Steve, and visit us again.

Best wishes
Ken Barnes
c.th.dreyer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: THE GREAT CARY GRANT Reply with quote

Ken Barnes wrote:
BRINGING UP BABY (1938)- with Katherine Hepburn is one of the greatest screwball comedies of all time ( and this marks its first appearance on DVD ),

Sorry, Ken. But that's not true. BRINGING UP BABY was released under the German title "Leoparden küßt man nicht" (translation: leopards should never be kissed) by Kinowelt in 2000. Nonetheless your DVD is the one to go for.

But the Kinowelt-DVD is not as bad as reviews on Amazon.de describe.
The major problem is, that the film got a whole new opening sequence for German theatre release back in 1962 and some scenes were cut.
For the DVD release Kinowelt used a German print but restored the lacking scenes from another source. These "new" scenes got forced German subtitles even if you choose in the DVD-menue to watch the film in the original version and not dubbed.

But the DVD contains a great extra feature, a documentary about Howard Hawks, "Ein verdammt gutes Leben" (translation: A damn good life) by Hans-Christoph Blumenberg.

@Steve
My personal favourite Cary Grant film is HIS GIRL FRIDAY.

If you liked MY FAVORITE WIFE from Ken's Box then you should also check out THE AWFUL TRUTH. Great chemistry between Cary Grant and Irene Dunne.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: BRINGING UP BABY Reply with quote

Sorry, CC. I stand corrected. But, I believe, our DVD is the first offiicial English language version on DVD. Certainly it has not so far seen DVD release in the U.S.
c.th.dreyer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: BRINGING UP BABY Reply with quote

Ken Barnes wrote:
Sorry, CC. I stand corrected. But, I believe, our DVD is the first offiicial English language version on DVD. Certainly it has not so far seen DVD release in the U.S.

Dear Ken,
Thank you that you answer every question or complaint so quickly.

Didn’t want to offend you. I’m just a bit sad that releases outside the US or UK are fairly overlooked in general. Sometimes it seems to me that they don’t count at all for English speaking audiences.

Of course, in most cases DVD-releases from France, Germany or Italy are not that appealing.
But some of the smaller DVD-companies which are run by film buffs like you have had really developed. For example the Anolis-DVD-release of the Hammer production FRANKENSTEIN’S MONSTER FROM HELL is the most complete in the world. This DVD is even better than the release from Anchor Bay. And it does not contain any disturbing subtitles or new opening sequences.

Best wishes
c.th.dreyer

P.S.: Glad to have found such an interesting forum. Smile

P.P.S.: How about releasing some of the very early Carl Theodor Dreyer films?
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: BRINGING UP BABY Reply with quote

c.th.dreyer wrote:
For example the Anolis-DVD-release of the Hammer production FRANKENSTEIN’S MONSTER FROM HELL is the most complete in the world. This DVD is even better than the release from Anchor Bay. And it does not contain any disturbing subtitles or new opening sequences.

Anchor Bay never did produce Frankenstein and The Monster From Hell; it's a Paramount release in the US and a DD Video disc here in the UK. But I'm interested in you saying it is the most complete in the world. How so?

Take a look at the detail of the versions available here and let me know what you think?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: BRINGING UP BABY Reply with quote

A whole website dedicated to the work of the Hammerstudios. Very Happy
Great! Are you running this website?

mgcroadster wrote:
Anchor Bay never did produce Frankenstein and The Monster From Hell; it's a Paramount release in the US and a DD Video disc here in the UK. But I'm interested in you saying it is the most complete in the world. How so?

Take a look at the detail of the versions available here and let me know what you think?

Of course, you're right. FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL was never released by Anchor Bay. But it's the first company that comes to my mind when I think of quality DVD-releases of Hammer films, sorry. Wink

The Anolis-DVD runs 90.48 minutes. The last 15 seconds are information about the dubbing actors and the dubbing studio.
So the film itself runs 90.33 minutes.
It contains the notorious "artery clamp" scene. In my opinion from today's point of view it's difficult to understand why the scene was cut to achieve an R-rating.
Now the film misses only 40 frames (less than 2 seconds). AFAIK these frames do no longer exist on filmmaterial anywhere in the world. They only survived on Video in the Netherlands and Anolis decided not to put them on their DVD because of the lack of quality.

The film is encoded anamorphic. It contains English and German Audio Options and optional German subtitles. Extra features are the "World of Hammer" episode about Peter Cushing (not dubbed), the trailer (not dubbed), interviews with the actors who dubbed Peter Cushing and Shane Briant (in German of course) and an 8-page booklet.

I just discovered an easter egg: A commercial for Holsten Pils with Peter Cushing.
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: BRINGING UP BABY Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
A whole website dedicated to the work of the Hammerstudios. Very Happy
Great! Are you running this website?

No, it's part of www.zetaminor.com, but an excellent resource.

Anonymous wrote:
...The film is encoded anamorphic. It contains English and German Audio Options and optional German subtitles. Extra features are the "World of Hammer" episode about Peter Cushing (not dubbed), the trailer (not dubbed), interviews with the actors who dubbed Peter Cushing and Shane Briant (in German of course) and an 8-page booklet.

I just discovered an easter egg: A commercial for Holsten Pils with Peter Cushing.

Sounds good! I have the R1, missing a few seconds of cuts, but the commentary is very entertaining.

BTW, I've also found this to be a useful area for classic films:

http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

(and, no, I don't that either Very Happy )
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that should be

www.zetaminor.com
M.D.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: The Cary Grant Collection Reply with quote

I clocked in on the Cary Grant forum and was surprised to find it overrun by irrelevant messages about Hammer horror films and TV ads. Let's get back to Cary Grant -please fellas !

I've just purchased Universal's Cary Grant Collection mainly because it contains "Bringing Up Baby." But the collection as a whole is a delight. I never realised what a fine film "Indiscreet" is. The teaming of Grant and Ingrid Bergman is magical.

The production by Ken Barnes and the Laureate team is top notch. This is the way boxed sets ought to be - but so seldom are. How about a second volume ?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: The Cary Grant Collection Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with you, Mark.

I would have loved to have done an audio commentary - at least on "Bringing Up Baby" - but that set ( along with the others ) was subject to a tight schedule and a capped budget. But we did the best possible under the circumstances and the results have been successful.

I also agree that there are more fine RKO Grants ( which Universal could release) and,of course, the Mae Wests are part of their catalogue. If and when my association with Universal resumes, these will be on my list of things to do.

Thanks for the thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Cary Grant and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: