laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Untouched Astaire films
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive Pauncefort

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Fred and Ginger - Swing Time Reply with quote

Yes, I agree that "Swing Time" is a goody. It has a great score and probably the single best dance routine that Fred and Ginger ever did ( "Waltz In Swingtime" ). But, apart from these points, its reputation rests mainly on the superb art deco sets and the fact that it was directed by the distinguished George Stevens. The script is certainly nothing to rave about ( in fact, it may be their most mundane ). Also, if you know the film
( as you obviously do ), it takes a good 30 minutes before we get the first full dance number. So the opening is a bit on the trivial side and even a touch irritating. But once the musical proceedings get under way, it's an absolutely smashing film and,of course, essential to any collection.

Let's hope Ken Barnes can persuade Universal to get their skates on and commission a second box.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: SWING TIME & FOLLOW THE FLEET Reply with quote

My thanks to Clive Pauncefort and the ever-reliable Mark Fisk for starting up this interesting discussion.

I purposely left "Swing Time" off the box set on the assumption that there'd be a second set in which this film would be the prime puller.
So far, Universal have made no move towards a second set. But there's always a chance that it will be done.

I tend to agree with Clive that "Swing Time" has a very weak script. But it's in the music and the dancing that the film really shines. Also it's one of the best designed of the Astaire=Rogers series. All of which make it an essential addition to any collection of great musicals.

As for "Follow The Fleet," it was adapted from a play called "Shore Leave" in which the leading character was named "Bilge Smith" - the part played by Randolph Scott and the romance with Harriet Hilliard's character was taken almost directly from the original plot. The Fred and Ginger characters were sort of tacked on. Probably the wisest mopve would have been to cast them in the Scott-Hilliard roles and cut straight to the chase.

Now about the song "Get Thee Behind Me,Satan" ( which was written originally for Ginger to sing in "Top Hat" ). Despite it's repeated notes, it's not an easy song to sing - but it has a mood all its own and is a great piece of lyrical plotting. Miss Hilliard does it quite well in the film - but if you really want to hear the song at its best, you should try the album "Ella Fitzgerald sings the Irving Berlin Songbook." Ella's version is a real zinger !

Thanks to Clive and Mark for their interesting insights into Fred and Ginger.
sara tourvel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What great information!
If I could choose a set, it would have to be Swing Time, The Gay Divorce and Roberta.
Thanks for all your enlightening research.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Fred & Ginger Reply with quote

Thanks, Sara, for visiting our website. If, in the not too-distant future, Universal agree to release a second box set of Fred & Ginger, it will certainly contain "Swing Time" and "The Gay Divorcee'" ( along with
"Flying Down To Rio" and " The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle" ) but
not "Roberta." This latter film was bought up by MGM in 1952 to protect their flashy Technicolor re-make "Lovely To Look At." The only way that "Roberta" could make it onto DVD would be through Turner Pictures
- most likely with Warner Brothers distribution.

This may well happen someday. But don't hold your breath. Since the Laureat company came into being, we have managed to get seven Astaire films onto DVD ( Second Chorus, Royal Wedding - distributed by Sanctuary - Holiday Inn, Top Hat, Follow The Fleet, Shall we Dance and Carefree - all distributed by Universal ).

Please visit again.

Ken Barnes
M. Walters

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Fred and Ginger - Vol 2 ? Reply with quote

Of all the DVDs I have bought during 2004, the set that gave me the most pleasure was the FRED AND GINGER collection. I know this set has enjoyed great success from the many e-mails I have exchanged over the past year with others who feel as I do. Please can we have volume two ?
S. Thurlow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Region Free Fred Astaire Reply with quote

I was interested to read Mark Fisk's e-mail concerning the U.S. Warner DVDs of Fred Astaire being Region Free. Could this mean that we're finally coming to the end of this Region business ? I hope so because it has always struck me as pointless when so many collectors are able to play in any region they want. If CDs can be international, why not DVDs ?
JamesLM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

if you get to work on a new boxset of RKO films, it might be worth contacting Sam White. He was the assistant director on "Roberta" and was at RKO when "Flying Down to Rio" and "The Gay Divorcee" were being made. He might have worked on these films. Maybe audio commentaries could be recorded with him. He is 98 but appeared in a Turner documentary made in 2002 so who knows. A little ambitious perhaps.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Astaire at RKO Reply with quote

A good thought, James. I'll put this to Universal. Right now, I'm up to my neck in preparing a budget for "Daddy Long Legs. "

Keep the faith.

Best
Ken
James LM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Ken, Gloria Morgan, the script supervisor on "Flying Down To Rio" and possibly other Astaire-Rigers films, is still alive (born 1910). Another person, with Sam White, it may be worth interviewing.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: FRED AND GINGER - BOX 2 (Universal.UK) Reply with quote

Hi James,

I did contact Universal about a second box set - but have had no response whatsoever. I'm not sure what their policies are regarding future product. I haven't done anything with them since late 2003.
Now, they don't even respond to communications.

Considering the positive market reaction to the FRED AND GINGER box
( which has enjoyed a strong and durable showing in the Amazon Sales Rank - not to mention the hundreds of messages and e-mails that I have received over the last 18 months or so ), it seems odd that they wouldn't want to do a second box. I know that Ava ( who has been busy doing fine work for Warners on their recent Astaire DVDs ) is only too happy to contribute to a second box.

I don't know what the answer is. But I do know that Universal have undergone several changes in the last year or so. For one thing, they have been taken over by NBC and for another, they have moved to new offices. This may well have been the main reason for a whole string of policy changes.

So what's to be done ? Well, if you or anyone on this website wants an answer, I can only suggest that you contact the person who originally engaged my services. Steve Beecham. His e-mail is Beecham.steve@nbcuni.com

I'd be interested to hear if you get any response.

In the meantime, I'm still talking with Fox re. D.L.L. as well as working on other projects.

Regards
Ken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: