laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20 Film Tribute
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> John Wayne and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Wayne collector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Universal's John Wayne Collection Reply with quote

I must agree that there is a lot wrong with this set and I can understand Paul Janner's anger at these shortcomings after spending such a large amount of money. But, looking on the bright side, it is a very impressive box and the 34 films have been imaginatively stored for easy access.

Generally speaking, as a longtime collector of John Wayne's films, I welcome this set warts-and-all. Having played "The Conqueror" and "Jet Pilot" once, I doubt if I will ever play them again. These - and five or six other films - are positively ghastly. But the set does carry a preponderance of films that range from good to great - and if anyone doubts Wayne's star quality, this is the set to point to.
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, Warners are showing them how to do - presentation and value for money - with their John Wayne Legendary Heroes collection coming May. Details at DVD Times here:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=55931
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: WAYNE - A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION Reply with quote

As usual our guest mgcroadster has brought our attention to another interesting development on the DVD scene. If collectors are divided in their feelings about Universal's mammoth Wayne collection, this upcoming set from Warners ( U.S.) should be welcome. Although this is not grade-A
Duke, the presentation is top class and I'll bet we don't get any pan-and-scan disasters on the wide screen items. When it comes to the consumer, Warners are a caring company and they're certainly proving it this year with the fantastic "Gone With The Wind" and the mouthwatering string of Fred Astaire musicals ( all in Special Editions ).

As far as Wayne is concerned, I think the forthcoming batch of Paramount
Waynes will be the one that collectors are really waiting for.
M.Pender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Warners V. Universal Reply with quote

Why is it that Warners are better than Universal when it comes to presenting classic films on DVD ? Answer - it's because they have a caring management who hire the right people to oversee each project.

Universal made a good start a couple of years ago by engaging Laureate's Ken Barnes. This resulted in the best DVD ever of "Citizen Kane" and unbeatable presentations of "Holiday Inn," " the box set of "Fred and Ginger" and "The Cary Grant Collection." These are all text book examples of what DVDs should be. Laureate should have been hired to do the John Wayne. Why didn't they ? Is Ken Barnes too expensive ?
S.H.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: JOHN WAYNE - THE COMPLETE COLLECTION Reply with quote

What a shame that Universal have made such a mess of a potentially great collection. Too many uninteresting films, badly mastered . I couldn't believe what a mess they made of "Flame of Barbary Coast."
Not one of the Duke's best films, admittedly, but this version has many flaws in the mastering that have nothing to do with the print. It's like somebody simply switched on the tape and let it run without checking the results. This should have been picked up by QC and should never have gone to DLT stage.

Also the interviews - with Harry Carey,Jr, Peter Bogdanovich and Patrick Wayne - have been edited in a most slapdash manner that it makes me wonder why Universal bothered. Do they have such disdain for the product and the consumer ?

This set is a clumsy disservice to a great star. Give me Warner Brothers every time.
B.Carswell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Universal's Wayne box Reply with quote

I picked up a second hand copy of Universal's John Wayne box for just £40 and for that price it's not bad value. I think there are more good films than bad. But the bad ones are as bad as movies can get.

Why didn't Universal show some sense and spare us the bad ones ?
And why didn't they show some consideration for the customer by taking more care in the production. The mastering in some cases ( The Magnificent Showman and Flame of Barbary Coast,etc. ) is horrible.
The chaptering is sloppy and nonsensical and the notes - rather poorly written - are loaded with errors. And yet it's an impressive set that sits well on my bookshelf. But what a shame it wasn't produced by people who know what they're doing. This has been thrown together with no thought at all for the consumer. I'm glad I didn't pay any more than £40 for it.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaptering aside, at least Reap The Wild Wind looks decent enough:

http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362052
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: REAP THE WILD WIND Reply with quote

Yes, I agree. This has been mastered from an excellent print and the 3-strip technicolor is a joy to look at. It's also a very good film. But the American edition is superior in that it offers more in the way of background information on the production.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> John Wayne and his films All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: