laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swing Time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: SWING TIME Reply with quote

That's great news. I have asked Universal to consider a second box set of FRED AND GINGER. No response as yet.
James LM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing Time is being released as part of a George Stevens set. Gunga Din is another title being released.
Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Swing Time Reply with quote

I was very excited when I read about the Swing Time release. I couldn't find any mention of features anywhere. I found on this site pictures of the other DVD's being released. http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=4772 Swing Time is conspicuosly absent and somebody even left a remark about it. Hmm, who could that be? The Stevens' films are being released they say because of the 100th anniversary of his birth. Astaire has never had his own collection of DVD's released on Region 1, but he has been included in Audrey Hepburn, Cole Porter and now George Stevens collections. When will they learn he can sell 'em on his own? I don't know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Fred Astaire Reply with quote

In response to Ryan and others who are anxious to see more justice for Fred Astaire on DVD, I can report that Warner Brothers recently flew Fred's daughter, Ava to New York to do filmed interviews for two forthcoming DVDs EASTER PARADE (1948) and THE BAND WAGON (1953).

This fact will be mentioned in our NEWS section update in a few days.
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark; where have you heard about Swingtime? There's absolutely no mention about it anywhere not even on the Warners website.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: CLASSIC FILMS ON DVD Reply with quote

Thanks for this clip from the New York Post. It's a clear indication of the growing importance of presenting classic films on DVD. It also reveals in no uncertain terms why Warner Brothers are the world leaders in DVD.

While Universal have put out some interesting releases ( Abbott & Costello, Deanna Durbin, the Horror movies and Bing Crosby ) they seem averse to producing extras. Perhaps their upcoming five-film box on the Marx Brothers will show an improvement ( fingers crossed ).

It's fortunate that Laureate were able to do some worthwhile DVD editions for Universal (UK) before certain political decisions ruled against giving buyers any further extras. We have,on the other hand, received hundreds of messages praising the material we have done.

If you or any other collectors want to see Vol 2 of FRED AND GINGER, then I suggest you write to:

DVD Film Dept.
Universal Pictures (UK) Ltd.
Prospect House
80-110 New Oxford Street
London WC1A 1HB

I have spoken recently with Ava Astaire McKenzie and she told me she would be delighted to work with me on a second box of Fred and Ginger.
Apart from the extras that she could bring to this venture, I have recently unearthed further goodies that would only enhance such a package.

Also a second Cary Grant box wouldn't do Universal any hard either.

Ken
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately Universal's six disc set looks as though it could easily fit on three. The sixth disc of extras, according to their website, contains very little. See here:

http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/details.php?childId=34933
Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we sure Swing Time will be released on DVD December 7th?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: SWING TIME Reply with quote

I've heard, through a friend of mine, that Swing Time may not be part of the George Stevens package because it's going to be part of a proposede Fred and Ginger set. Sounds promising but nothing has been offcially announced yet. So...fingers crossed.
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing Time is being released as part of this fantastic looking set:

http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366000
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Astaire-Rogers - Warner Brothers style Reply with quote

Yes, this is something to look forward to. Ava told me she has already done an audio commentary for "Top Hat." But she doesn't know what else the set will contain in the way of extras. Yet if it's anything like Warner's recent box sets, it should be worth getting.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: FRED AND GINGER DE-LUXE Reply with quote

Thanks Mark for drawing attention to this fabulous Warner release. Simply loaded with good stuff. Ava told me that she and Larry Billman had done an audio commentary for"Top Hat."

I wish I could have persuaded Universal to do more. But they don't have the same philosophy as Warners. To be fair to Universal, they only have the RKO rights for the U.K. So I think we did pretty well with the box set I was able to produce. It did good business and, I would have thought, justified a second set. Go figure !

Happily, I have now started work on "Daddy Long Legs" for Fox (USA). and Ava and I will be doing the audio commentary next week.

This will be posted on the NEWS site as soon as we have time ( along with a new forum for Musicals )
Ryan

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally Swing Time on DVD, no longer only a rumor, as it was earlier on in this thread. I see they have included a John Mueller (author of the incredibly detailed "Astaire Dancing") commentary. Would this be a replay of the 13 year old laserdisc commentary, or a new one? Even if it were the same, the laserdisc would still have the Bill Robinson/Fats Waller number to itself most likely.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: SWING TIME Reply with quote

I would imagine, after all this time, Mr. Mueller would do a new commentary - although I'm sure most of it will be the same as the Criterion laser disc - rather like Rudy Behlmer's "Robin Hood" commentary which closely followed the one he had done on alser disc.

All good stuff though. And very welcome on DVD at last.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: