laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Bakker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

I hear that somebody is producing a boxed set or two of the classic Fred & Ginger films for a Christmas release, is this your company? If so will 'Roberta' be included? Along with 'Flying Down to Rio' this is not always classed as a true Fred & Ginger movie.
Whilst writing i would be interested to know if your project to release Bing's 'SEASONS' album on CD has progressed at all. I know that you were keen to do something this year.
With best wishes and thanks for your continuing efforts!
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Fred & Ginger Reply with quote

Hello Mark,

Yes, we are working on a boxed set of Fred and Ginger - hopefully for Christmas release. We have already shot
introduction segments by Fred's daughter, Ava. The reason this has not been officially announced is that we're still looking for satisfactory prints. There should be a formal announcement in the next month on our Coming Soon and News pages

No, it will not include "Roberta" because this was bought up by MGM in the early '50s so that it would not clash - or compete - with their technicolor re-working of it "Lovely To Look At."

I had hoped to release "Seasons" this year ( Bing's centenary ) but I've been so busy on DVD matters that I've not had time. However, I do have interested labels and I'm confident that it will be out on CD next year. Over the years, I had thousands of requests ( literally ) for this album to be issued on CD. But it was held up through contractual difficulties which, happily, have now been solved. So please be patient. First things first.

Thanks for your interest

Best
Ken Barnes
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Fred and Ginger Reply with quote

It was interesting this week to purchase the DVD of 'Chicago' - the much-hyped musical of the past year - and to see on the 'behind-the-scenes' special that Catherine Zeta-Jones can actually dance her numbers - they put a rehearsal sequence side-by-side with the relevant film sequence, and she really can do the moves. This is quite contrary to the impression that the film gives, because the frequent intercutting of angles made me at least believe that rapid camera movement was covering up for the actors' choreographic shortcomings.

If only they had used the honest approach of the Fred and Ginger films! I'm really looking forward to the DVD releases. It's great that this will be a Laureate project - what I'd always hoped for. Is it likely to be fairly comprehensive - eg including 'The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle', an oft-neglected film - or just include the popular main films?

Oh, and it might be becoming boring by now, but well done on Kane - I loved it!

Best wishes

Dominic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: woops Reply with quote

Ken Barnes wrote:
Hello Mark,

Ahh woops, now i get it.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Is that blue collar or white ? Reply with quote

I wish you'd enlighten me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Coming Soon All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: