laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holiday Inn - DVD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celia Hall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Holiday Inn - DVD Reply with quote

Having just purchased the new DVD of "Holiday Inn," I must offer congratulations to Universal, to Laureate and especially to Ken Barnes for his marvellous production and enlighening audio commentary - and how great it is to have personal audio comments from Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire.

The extras are a positive delight - especially the documentary " A Couple of Song and Dance Men" - with the wonderful contributions from Fred Astaire's daughter Ava.

The whole project is a delight and makes a great film even more enjoyable. Please let's have more musicals like this.

Celia Hall ( Mrs.)
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Holiday Inn - DVD Reply with quote

Dear Celia Hall,

Thanks you so much for your enthusiastic comments re. the new "Holiday Inn" DVD.

I know I speak for everyone at Universal Pictures as well as the Laureate production team when I say that this is a DVD of which we're all especially proud. HOLIDAY INN has always been one of my favourite musicals and this was certainly one of the most gratifying productions I have ever been involved in. It looks like it's going to enjoy much success.

As for doing more musicals, I'll see what I can do.

Once again, thanks for your comments and I hope "Holiday Inn" will brighten the holiday season for you and your family.

Best wishes
Ken Barnes
jack clowes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: a couple of swell song and dance men Reply with quote

well it finally came through my letter box today
and it was certainly worth waiting for. Holiday
Inn must be your best production yet (and that's
saying something when one considers your earlier
output) - fantastic print, great sound, superb
commentary plus the two masters of Twentieth
Century Entertainment - what can I say except
to plead for the Laureate version of Blue Skies.
It strikes me that DVD is an ideal medium for
Musicals because it enables one to "dip in" to
view individual musical numbers in the way that
one would select particular tracks on a CD and
with this in mind I'm surprised that nobody has
yet put the 3 THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT Films plus
THAT'S DANCING on to DVD as I feel that they
would be ideal for "dipping in" to.
I will close by quoting the Title of a Dorothy
Fields/Cy Coleman song from SEESAW - "Welcome to
Holiday Inn"!
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Holiday Inn Reply with quote

Well, I suppose it's inevitable that 'Holiday Inn' was even better than your last release because every time you release a new release it excels the previous release to an unimaginable extent, which is a confusing way of saying it was great!

What about 'Top Hat'? Personally, I think it is a better all-round film than 'Blue Skies', although this would of course be extremely welcome as well. I bought the 2-DVD release of 'Singin' in the Rain' the other day, and I have to say that the Arthur Freed documentary whetted my appetite for 'The Band Wagon' again...

I agree with Jack about 'That's Entertainment' et al - and about musicals on DVD in general. I often only watch the songs. I think that's why the early Fred and Gingers would work well in this format - great songs and dancing, but the films can be taken or left...

Anyway, I know you always do your best to expand the catalogue. I can't wait to watch 'Holiday Inn' again!

Best wishes

Dominic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Praise All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: