laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a UK discography of Fred Astaire albums?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andarno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Is there a UK discography of Fred Astaire albums? Reply with quote

I've recently been buying old vinyl albums (remember them?) including several featuring the music of Fred Astaire. My collection now includes the three LPs that were produced by Ken Barnes as well as the more obvious collections of film and stage songs.

Does anyone know of a list of all the Fred albums that were released in the UK? I have the biography by Tim Satchell that has a discography in the back but was hoping for something more complete, and in date order.

If anyone else enjoys listening to Fred on record or has a favourite album perhaps they would like to contribute to this topic. Smile
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Fred Astaire on record Reply with quote

Thanks Mark for reminding us of "Now" This is a good album and it deserves to be on CD. I don't know if it's his best album. What about the marvellous Verve set with the JATP all stars ?
Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the music intellectual Mark is, or much of an LP collector. I only have a few of Astaire LP's actually. I've got plenty of his CD's and I really enjoy "Fred Astaire Sings." I'm not sure if it had a different title on LP. The songs are: The Afterbeat, Change Partners, Isn't this a Lovely Day, A Foggy Day, They Can't Take that Away from Me, They All Laughed, I'll Walk Alone, One for my Baby, Something's Gotta Give, Lady of the Evening. I particularly enjoy the rendition of Mercer's "Something's Gotta Give" on this album, and Astaire's own "The Afterbeat".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it's not his best nor perhaps my favourite Astaire album, I always liked the LP of 'Three Evenings with Fred Astaire'.

It's a memento of his TV shows and includes the three medleys he performed, which themselves contain many of his 'greatest hits'. I wish they were available on DVD!

The DRG LP release of The Belle of New York is also interesting, because the flip side contains songs written or co-written by Fred himself. What a musical guy!
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: The one and only Fred Reply with quote

Thanks Dominic for bringing The Belle of New York album to our attention.

Fred was a nifty songwriter when the mood took him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: