laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GUYS AND DOLLS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Sinatra and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: GUYS AND DOLLS Reply with quote

I noticed also that GUYS AND DOLLS is soon available with lots of bonus scenes and material.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Guys and Dolls - De Luxe Edition Reply with quote

I totally agree. If companies can squeeze any further mileage out of a film ( and they know damn well they can ), they'll find a way to represent it as many times as the market will stand.

If you go to Internet Explorer and call up "The Digital Bits" ( a great site for lovers of classic movies ) you'll find a fairly detailed review of "Guys and Dolls - De Luxe Edition. If you have trouble finding it, please let me know.
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
I agree with what's been said.But please don't shoot the messenger!
Some of the 'extras'include.
Marlon learns to Dance,
Rehearsing Adelaide,
On The Set,
Interviews,
and more.
All listed at www.play.com
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: GUYS AND DOLLS Reply with quote

I think you're probably right. I know that everytime I look at this film, I can't help thinking of how miscast Sinatra is as Nathan Detroit and pefect he would have been as Sky Masterson. And as for Brando ? Well, it's a shame he was ever involved. Even Jean Simmons outsings him.
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However,at that time Frank wasn't the bigger star of the two(of them)-he later rectified the mis-casting by recording a definitive LUCK BE A LADY.
I find the dialogue rather stilted but I guess that's part of the Runyanesque.
I met Marlon at an Elizabeth Taylor'do'in London a few years ago-I(tactfully)never mentioned his singing. Also,I don't think he and Frank were particularly'close'!
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Sinatra vs Brando Reply with quote

You're absolutely right, Mark. In many of his concerts, Frank loved to recall Brando's singing referring to him as "The great American baritone with a singing range of half a tone." Bigger star maybe at that time, but Sam Goldwyn would have had a better and much more durable picture if he'd cast Frank as Sky.
Rego

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BFI in London will be showing the full version of Guys & Dolls in July.

I don't know what the print will be like, but in the main the BFI prints are usually quite good Smile
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been on UK Satellite this week along with PAL JOEY.
The GUYS&DOLLS bonus edition version is worth getting. Very Happy
andarno

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Frank Sinatra use to call Marlon Brando 'Mumbles'? Although, presumably not to his face!

I've always found it strange that Sinatra never recorded the song 'My Time of Day' from Guys and Dolls. It's in the original stage version sung by Robert Alda but only appears in the movie as instrumental background (and not sung by Brando). It's a nice song and seems to fit in really well with the image that Sinatra projected - a man alone, walking the empty city streets in the early hours of the morning kind of thing. The song wasn't even part of the Reprise Repertory Theater album organised by Frank in the early sixties. An odd omission in the catalogue of Sinatra recordings, in my opinion.

Confused
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: MY TIME OF DAY Reply with quote

Hi Andarno,

Welcome to the website. Yes, I agree with you. "My Time of Day" is one of the show's key songs sung by "Sky Masterson." This song would,of course, been beyond Brando's vocal capabilities. Had Sinatra played that role ( which would have been perfect for him ) I'm sure it would have been included in the film. It's hard to figure why it was not included in the Reprise Repertory Theater series.

If you want to a good and stylish version of this fine song, I would recommend Mel Torme's excellent CD "Sunday In New York." I think you'll find his version most rewarding.

Ken
andarno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken. Thanks for the welcome and the Mel Torme tip. I actually joined a year ago and posted a couple of times back then but nothing since. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Sinatra and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: