laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why we need more classics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Dunn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Why we need more classics Reply with quote

Dear Ken Barnes,

Your Laureate Company is a real blessing to the DVD business. Now that you're branching out and working for major studios like Universal, is it possible to get some of the great classics of the 1940s and '50s ?

With TV paying less and less attention to black & white movies and more attention to cheap made-for-TV colour films, the dedicated film buff is losing out. This is why we need really well-produced DVDs of the kind that you are turning out. I keep returning to "Meet John Doe" because it has so many fascinating "extras"

Please giive us more like this.

Regards
Keith Dunn
Ron Tucker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Classics Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more with Keith Dunn's plea for more classic movies. Ken Barnes and the Laureate Company are doing a great job. I don't think I've seen a better DVD presentation of a classic film than "Meet John Doe."

But the thing to do is to get the major studios to take their catalogues seriously. It may be that the demigraphics for classic on DVD is still not yet fully developed BUT we know that the player population is growing at an alarming rate - and it's not just the youngsters who are buying the hardware.

Laureate are to be congratulated for their work to date - but this is only the beginning. So far, I've bought every title that Laureate has done plus the two Sanctuary Special Editions of "The Bounty" and "The Dead Zone." ALL of these titles have something interesting to offer the film buff - but we need more. So I can only echo what everyone else is saying. Keep up the good work.

R. Tucker
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Classics on DVD Reply with quote

My thanks to Ron Tucker and Keith Dunn. Yes there is a need for more classics on DVD. That's the whole point of the Laureate Company. But, as Ron points out, the demographics are still not fully developed. The DVD player population is now increasing rapidly and is closer to embracing a wider audience for films of all kinds.

This month sees the release of a wonderful box set devoted to four great Ealing comedies. No, this is not a Laureate presentation but it falls into the same general market philosophy and I wholeheartedly recommend it to all visitors to this website- especially to Keith and Ron.

Ken Barnes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Praise All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: