laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Sinatra films on DVD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Sinatra and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: More Sinatra films on DVD Reply with quote

Just noticed these are either released or coming shortly:-
THE FIRST DEADLY SIN,
NEVER SO FEW,
PLUS ROBIN AND THE SEVEN HOODS
see:-
http://www.play.com
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox Home Entertainment have announced they will be releasing Can Can as a Region 1 DVD in May.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: More Sinatra on DVD Reply with quote

When Fox release "Can Can" that, I believe, is the last of their Sinatra catalogue. They have released "The Detective" and the two Tony Rome films.

I do know that Warners are plannig a Sinatra box set, but it's unlikely to be issued this year. Iearlier thus month in Los Angeles, I spoke with Universal and there is a good chance that they will release "Meet Danny Wilson" in 2008 as part of a Classic Crooners Collection.
JoelCairo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: More Sinatra on DVD Reply with quote

Ken Barnes wrote:
. . . earlier thus month in Los Angeles, I spoke with Universal and there is a good chance that they will release "Meet Danny Wilson" in 2008 as part of a Classic Crooners Collection.

You have my undivided attention! A Classic Crooners Collection from Universal!

Would that include One Touch Of Venus with Dick Haymes - oh, and a mesmerising, awe-inspring beauty named Ava Gardner? Or Casbah with Tony Martin and a small but wonderful score by Harold Arlen and Leo Robin? (One of the curiosities about the score is that the song which became a "standard", "Hooray For Love" is the weakest song while the haunting "What's Good About Goodbye" has only established itself as a marginal semi-"standard" and "It Was Written In The Stars" survived, as far as I can judge, only by being included in Ella Fitzgerald's Harold Arlen Songbook. )

Any further information you can provide about this Classic Crooners set will be very welcome.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Classic Crooners Collection Reply with quote

"One Touch of Venus" is not included in the iniyial plan for "Classic Crooners" nor is the other Dick Haymes Universal picture "Up In Central Park" Neither film is a particularly good example of Haymes's work on screen. But if fo think "Casbah" is worth considering and I'll pass this suggestion on.

I'm not a big fan of Tony Martin, but this film is easily jis best work on screen and it is a good score by Arlen and Robin ( which also includes "For Every Man There's A Woman" ). "It Was Written In The Stars" was also recorded by Tony Bennett in his album ! A String of Harold Arlen". I'll pass this "Casbah" suhhestion on to Universal.
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks,Ken-for the news of MEET DANNY WILSON-I have everything crossed for this. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Sinatra and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: