laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

But what about us ugly Americans?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Got a Technical Question about Laureate's DVDs?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg H.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: But what about us ugly Americans? Reply with quote

Region 2 gets boxed sets of Cary Grant, Astaire/Rogers, Marx Brothers, etc, while we get yet another "special edition" of some second rate action movie from the 90's. The USA has THE POOREST representation of classic films available on DVD, and when you consider that most of these films were AMERICAN MADE, it's just sad....if a film is in NTSC, I can buy it and convert it, but not PAL...any chance the USA will see any of these great films some day?
Greg Hopper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Thanks, but still Reply with quote

I'd love to have these flicks in the US NOW!!!! There are 5!!!! Separate versions of some movies like Alien, but nothing whatsoever from one of the silver screen's greatest duos....also on the "ohmigod, I can't beleive it's not out yet" list is the entire Thin Man collection, the first is out with nothing more than a trailer, but the others will likely never be seen!!! Also missing in action is Veronica Lake, Sullivan's Travels is all we have!!! Man, I wished I lived in the UK....
Greg Hopper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Thin Man Reply with quote

Well, I can convert a film to whatever region I want, but unless I miss my guess, it's the TV set that determines the picture, if a film is NTSC, it plays fine, if it's PAL, it won't play at all. The DVD on my computer is region free, and will play anything, regardless, but I really don't want to watch movies on a 17 inch screen!!!!
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: PAL vs NTSC Reply with quote

The recent exchanges between Greg Hopper and Mark Fisk - also Elliot Saperstein and Phil Jellicoe - concerning the plight of American DVD buyers and the problem of PAL vs NTSC
seems to highlight an increasingly common problem.

This should be easily solved by investing in a multi-standard screen - one that will handle NTSC,PAL & SECAM.
Just how common such screens are in the States I don't know - but they are standard fare here in the UK and Europe.

If this problem gets any wider in the U.S market, I'm sure some enterprising American manufacturer will soon be doing what the rest of the world is doing. Until then, it might make sense to import a European screen.

Ken Barnes
Greg Hopper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: NTSC, PAL issues Reply with quote

Aha! Importing a new TV screen might a bit of a hassle, but DAEWOO has a new player that handles any region, on any TV, and it's only 70.00 US!!!! Now to order my Fred and Ginger movies!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Got a Technical Question about Laureate's DVDs? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: