laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fred and Ginger -part 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celia Hall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Fred and Ginger -part 2 Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Barnes,

If there is to be a second instalment of Fred and Ginger,
could you please make sure that (a) you give us an audio commentary on one of the films ( preferably "Swing Time" ) and (b) please give us more of the delightful Ava.

My family and I love all of the new boxed sets.

Celia Hall (Mrs.)
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Swing Time-Fred and Ginger Reply with quote

I can only echoe Mrs. Hall's request. Let's have a second volume of Fred and Ginger - with more intros from Ava and PLEASE one of your expert audio commentaries - certainly "Swing Time" would be the one to talk about.

J.P.
Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Another Astaire/Rogers DVD collection Reply with quote

I would also like to see a second installment. If you peruse the older posts of this fine messageboard you'll find that Mr. Barnes has said a second collection would be released if the sales of the current Fred and Ginger Dvd's warrant another. He has mentioned that the second set would most likely include "Swing Time", "Flying down to Rio", "The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle", and "The Gay Divorcee".
I have been recommending the Fred/Ginger collection to every Astaire and Rogers fan I know, not to mention fans of musicals, classic film, and DVD's in general. Perhaps by promoting the collection by word of mouth the sales would be great enough to see the second set come to pass. I feel Astaire's magic has been long overdue on the DVD format, and hopefully Laureate's well put together collections will be the beginning of a change in that.
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Astaire-Rogers. More to come? Reply with quote

My thanks to Ryan and Mark. I have to say that the response to Fred and Ginger has been overwhelming.
And while this website is always buzzing with interest in all of our releases, the Astaire=Rogers set is by far the one that has drawn the greatest response.

I knew it would be a winner but I think it's success has taken Universal by surprise. They are now out of stock and are rushing to re=priint in order to meet the growing demand.

Strange. In the beginning following release on 10 Nov, Steve Beecham on Universal wrote to say how pleased he was with the PR interest but couldn't understand why there was so much dealer resistance. I can understand it. Not only dealers but also certain salesmen have no conception of just how big a market there is for the classic films.

Perhaps after this things will change. Will Universal be doing a second volume of Fred and Ginger ? I honestly don't know - but they certainly should. And I hope they'll engage Laureate to do it.

My thanks to you guys - and to everyone who has contacted us on this release.

Best
Ken
Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Hi Mark Reply with quote

Yes, I thought the European portion of the Astaire list would like to hear about the collection. And, yes, I can be extremely longwinded I agree. I will do as you suggested about Amazon, that's where I purchased the collection. I've noticed your messages on the Astaire list too, I like it very much because you fellows have such a wealth of information.
D.Telford

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: FRED & GINGER- Part 2 ? Reply with quote

After this first terrific Fred and Ginger box set, are there any plans to do a part 2 ? If so, you can me down for the first copy off the press. And please, let's have more of Ava Astaire McKenzie.

D.T.
T. McMullen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: More Astaire-Rogers Reply with quote

If there is a second box set of the RKO Astaire-Rogers, would this contain the remaining five titles? Flying Down To Rio, The Gay Divorcee,Roberta, Swing Time,The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle ?
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: More Astaire-Rogers Reply with quote

Mark Fisk is absolutely right - as always - with his listing of the remaining Fred and Ginger titles and,no doubt, Warners ( or rather Ted Turner ) who own the RKO for the States plus the MGM catalogue, will eventually do the complete canon. But maybe not for some time.

If Universal decide to do another volume of Fred and Ginger,
and judging by the early response to this first set they probably will, it will NOT contain "Roberta." This film was bought outright by MGM in the early 1950s so that it would not compete with their flashy techicolor remake entitled "Lovely To Look At."

Regards and thanks
Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Boxed Sets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: