laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20th CENTURY FOX
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> 20th Century Fox
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: 20th CENTURY FOX Reply with quote

To all of those visitors, members and general film buffs, please note that I have received a response from 20th Century Fox regarding all the requests, criticisms and general comments that you have all made.

Here are the main questions that need answers.

1. Which Fox films would you like to see on DVD ?

2. What suggestions do you have for box sets ?

3. How strongly do you feel about Fox as an outlet for classic films and special editions ?

Here's a chance to get the answers. The people at Fox are listening ?
Steve Marcus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: 20th Century Fox Reply with quote

My first choice for Fox DVDs would be Daddy Longlegs and the two Glenn Miller films ( SunValley Serenade and Orchestra Wives

Box sets. A set of the great Fox Musicals of the 1940s ( the films of Betty Grable,Alice Faye and Dick Haymes ) would be very nice

I think Fox is a wonderful catalogue and I would like to see SEs of films such as Otto Preminger's " Laura," Alfred Hitchcock's " Lifeboat" ( the only film that Hitch made for Fox) and John Ford's "My Darling Clementine".
There is a DVD of the latter currently available in the U.S. but it hardly does justice to such a great film.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They get a reasonable rap in the states for their SE classic film collection.

Alas their audio commentaries feature American movie critics who I do not care about, rarely film historians (whose info I do care about). On Gentleman's Agreement one of the first things Richard Schickelt has to say, when we see Gregory Peck walk his son across a road by a public garden in NYC on location, is "this could be New Yoek or it could be Los Angeles. Jeez, if he wasn't sure why didn't he make a phone call to Dean Stockwell (who played the son) and ask him if he recalls going to New York in 1946/47? If I was an alien I would find what he has to say as useful, but I am not. Film critics are their to help you decide if you want to watch a film. I have already decided I like a film if I go and buy an SE surely? The comments (not scene specific whatsoever, they hardly ever are on these Foc films - they have missed the point) interrupt him.

Suggestions for R2 releases

THE OX-BOW INCIDENT (US DVD picture quality is excellent)
dir. William A. Wellman, 1943

Take the SE stuff off the US DVD then go and record an audio commentary with lead actors Henry Morgan and Marc Lawrence (they appear in almost every scene) with help from supporting actor Ted North or 3rd asst director Otto Lang. They could sell it as a region 2 exclusive' (they have started doing this, becomming aware of import purchases).

FIVE FINGERS (dir. Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1952)

Has been release here before. It is hard to organize an audio commentary with actors and crew based in the US. I suppose from the Uk, but star (legend of French cinema) Danielle Darrieux lives in France. Pop over to France to record it. Very few producers of films from this time are alive today. This film's producer is one of them, so it would be a crime for 20th Century Fox not to fly him over to join Mme Darrieux. It has been out here before but is out of print. Putting a package together like this would make the item ready made for issue by Fox in the states surely? Imagine if the Uk execs of Fox took the heat off the work in the states on new films by paying attention to the classics on their behalf, rather than just working with all the ready packaged (and already marketed to some extent) titles that come over the pond.

KISS OF DEATH (dir. Henry Hathaway, 1947)

Commentary with Richard Widmark, Coleen Gray and Karl Marlden of course.

BANDIDO (dir. Richard Fleisher, 1956)

A precurser to films like The Magnificent Seven, would love to see it in its original 2.35:1 ratio of course. Director Richard Fleisher has already recorded a commentary for 200,000 Leagues so why not for this one, with star Ursula Thiess and film edotor Robert Golden.

THE BRAVADOS (dir. HENRY KING, 1958)

Similiar theme to The Ox-Bow incident. I bet Joan Collins does not do audio commenatries. There is actors always Henry Silva, Barry Coe and Herbert Rudley.

BROKEN ARROW (dir. Delmer Daves, 1950)

Has not been on DVD yet. Commentary with actresses Debra Paget and Joyce Mackenzie and maybe script supervisor Marvin Weldon. The script was by blacklistee Michael Wilson using a front.

BUFFALO BILL (dir. William A. Wellman, 1944)

Another western. Not yet on DVD. Maureen O'Hara already recorded two audio commentaries but she is not on the one for Fox's How Green Was My Valley. Asst direcor Joseph C. Behm (later became a produce) is still with us I believe.

THIS LAND IS MINE (dir. Jean Renoir, 1943)

Again employ Maureen O'Hara, maybe with actress Nabcy Gates. Cinematographer Frank Redman may be still alive, but that is a little unlkely. I cannot find out anuthing about him.

SWAMP WATER (dir. Jean renoir, 1941)

maybe an audio commentary with actress Mary Howard. and editor Walter Thompson(?).

DRAGONWYCK (dir. Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1946)

Actors Connie Marshall (perhaps a little too young) and Harry Morgan on a commentary with its editor Dorothy Spemcer and set decorator Paul S. Fox.

ESCAPE (dir. Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1948, UK)

Being British made, this film may be of interest here. It would be easy to record audio commentaries. Peggy Cummins is living in England still. Editor Alan Jaggs, production manager Roy Parkinson and camera operator Russell Thompson may also be still with us. Supprting actors Michael Golden, Jacqueline Clarke and Peter Croft are certainly alive.

These are just some suggestions for now.
James LM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote the above post. I did log in but maybe my time was out. Anyway, just to add, it appears that a Joseph L. Mankiwicz boxset would be of interest to me.
James LM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could I forget LIFEBOAT, my favourite Hitchcock film. Mary Anderson commentary please.
Christoph Nestel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the Astaire Forum is the best place for a 20th Century Fox wishing thread. May be no bad idea to move it where best attention is guaranted.

To me it would be no question at all, which would be the most important Fox films to be released on DVD if I had the power to decide the schedule:

1) DECISION BEFORE DAWN (1951; Directed by Anatole Litvak)
Oskar Werner, Hildegard "Hildegarde Neff" Knef, Richard Basehart, Gary Merrill, O.E. Hasse, Wilfried Seyferth, Klaus Kinski

On of the best WWII dramas ever made, which was nominated for two Oscars (Best Film Editing, Best Picture), the Golden Globe (Best Cinematography) and the DGA Award (Outstanding Directorial Achievement) in 1952. The German language version has one of the most remarkable entries in dubbing history: Richard Basehart was dubbed by ... Curd Jürgens (THE SPY WHO LOVED ME) . Never released to home video worldwide. Never saw the English version myself.

-------------------------

2) 23 PACES TO BAKER STREET (1956; Directed by Henry Hathaway)
Van Johnson, Vera Miles, Cecil Parker, Maurice Denham

This is definitely my most favourite movie by Henry Hathaway and Van Johnson's best picture. A highly suspenseful and atmospheric thriller set in 1956 London beautifully photographed in Cinemascope 1:2,35. From a novel by Philip MacDonald. Actually Terence Young's WAIT UNTIL DARK (1967) borrowed a lot from this one, but never was as half as good. As fine as Hitchcock's best films, strong and tense. Never released to home video worldwide. Only have it in a 1:1,85 cropped copy from TV, would love to see it in its full Cinemascope beauty. Who is Janet Murch ??

--------------------------

3) NIGHT PEOPLE (1954; Directed by Nunnally Johnson)
Gregory Peck, Broderick Crawford, Anita Björk, Peter van Eyck, Marianne Koch

On of the best cold war spy thrillers, dark and suspenseful. Filmed at Berlin, Munich and London in glorious Technicolor and Cinemascope 1:2,55. Never released to home video worldwide. Would gladly change my cropped 1:1,85 TV print to a great Cinemascope55 DVD.

4) NO HIGHWAY aka NO HIGHWAY IN THE SKY (1951, Directed by Henry Koster)
James Stewart, Marlene Dietrich, Glynis Johns, Jack Hawkins

One of my most favourite James Stewart films ever, featuring many British actors. Not as well known as HARVEY undeserved, but just as great. Stewart portrays a highly sympathetic but absent-minded scientist who is aware of a constructional defect which might cause a new plane to fall - but nobody believes him. The chemistry between Stewart, Dietrich and Johns is as great as Koster's direction. A movie impossible to assign to a genre: thriller, comedy, drama - it's all in there.

5) ON THE RIVIERA (1953; Directed by Walter Lang)
Danny Kaye, Gene Tierney, Marcel Dalio

Kaye's only film for Centfox isn't his best one of course. But I go for Danny and I'd like to watch this in English some time. There exist two deleted music numbers by Danny which can be seen on the Image DVD HIDDEN HOLLYWOOD II - MORE TREASURES FROM THE 20TH CENTURY FOX VAULTS. Never released to home video worldwide.

Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: 20TH CENTURY FOX Reply with quote

Thanks, Christoph. This is the sort of stuff we want to see.
Come on, everybody. Let's hear from you on the Fox catalogue.

I am happy to tell you that they are more on the ball than we suspected.
Later this year, they will be releasing two Marilyn Monroe films never before on video. This will helkp to complete the much-praised Diamond Collection. Also there will be a Shirley Temple release ( I hope it includes John Ford's 1937 "Wee Willie Winkie."

So, please follow Christoph's example, get to your keyboards and give us your Fox favourites. I promise you they are listening and all requests will be considered.

Ken
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: 20th Century Fox Reply with quote

1. A special edition of "Daddy Longlegs" would make a very good start
- and you can count me in for the Glenn Miller films ( especially if they
are in stereo )

2. I think a Box set of Fox's great film noir titles would be very popular
films like "Laura" - "Kiss of Death" ( the 1947 version not the
duff remake ), "The Dark Corner" and "Call Northside 777"

3. While I'm not crazy about the Fox musicals of the '40s( they don't
compare to the MGM or Warner Brothers musicals) it might be a good
commercial idea to release a box set incorporating the best of Betty
Grable, Alice Faye and the energetic Carmen Miranda ( titles
like "Down Argentie Way," "Tin Pan Alley," "That Night In Rio,"
"Something For The Boys," "Four Jills in a Jeep" and "Diamond
Horseshoe" ( aka "Billy Rose's Diamond Horshoe)

And how about a Henry Fonda double bill combinging "The Ox Bow
Incident" and "My Darling Clementine" ?
Pil Jellicoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: 20TH CENTURY FOX Reply with quote

Considering that "Daddy Longlegs" is one of the most requested and rarely shown Fred Astaire films, this is an automatic choice for a Laureate-style SE.

The two Miller films in a double feature pack would get my money straight away.

As for a Fox Box, I would nominate a James Stewart package comprising
"Call Northside 777" (1947), "Broken Arrow" (1950), "No Highway (1951
and "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation" (1962)

I also love Richard Widmark's early films - especially his debut in "Kiss of Death " (1947) " The Street With No Name" (1948) "Road House" (1948) and "Panic In The Streets " (19500 and "Night and The City" (1950), The latter is far superior to the Robert De Niro remake of three or four years ago.
Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Phil's suggestion of the Stewart box set with "Call Northside 777", "No Highway", "Broken Arrow" and "Mr. Hobbs takes a Vacation". I would buy that right away. I am even more in favor of a 50th anniversary edition "Daddy Long Legs" DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CELIA HALL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: 20TH CENTURY FOX Reply with quote

Put me down for a DVD of "Daddy Longlegs" - especially if it gets the Ken Barnes-Laureate Special Edition treatment ( the Fred and Ginger Collection and "Holiday Inn" are amongs the most played DVDs in our household ).

Also - although I've never seen the two Glenn Milleer films - I would certainly love to have them on DVD.

Also the James Stewart Box set idea is one that would appeal ( I'm sure it would be just as popular as Laureate's Universal box set of Cary Grant ).

I do hope tghe people at Fox go along with these suggestions.
Ron Patmore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: 20TH CENTURY FOX Reply with quote

While I agree that maybe the Astaire section is not the most advantageous slot to bring up the subject of 20th Century Fox, I can see the logic behind it. "Daddy Longlegs" is one of the most desired of all Fred's films and the ONLY one that he made for Fox ( that is, apart from "The Towering Inferno" - which most people have ).

So, here's my list of Fox requests in addition to a SE of "Daddy Longlegs"

The Glenn Miller films ( "Sun Valley Serenade" & "Orchestra Wives")
Hopefully as a 2-disc edition with extras ( of which there should be plenty)

How about a box set of lovely Maureen O'Hara ? I saw her on TV earlier this week plugging her autobiography and, for an 84-year old, she looks very lively and would probably make a good interview subject for such a set. Fox titles ? "To The Shores of Tripoli"(1942), "The Black Swan" (1942),"Do You Love Me"-with Dick Haymes and Harry James(1946) and the classic "miracle on 34th Street" (1947) The latter,of course, deserves a SE of its own.

And what about Fox's great Film Noir movies ? I'd like to have "Laura
( 1944), "The Dark Corner(1946), "Kiss of Death(1947) and "Thieves' Highway"(1949)

That's enough to be going on with and would constitute at 25% of my DVD budget for next year.
Colin East

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: 20th Century Fox Reply with quote

I am delighted to hear that 20th Century Fox in the UK have shown an interest in our opinions. I like the Fox catalogue very much but I normally buy in Region 1 because the UK versions often omit the extrtas and audio commentaries that appear on the U.S. releases. I must say,however, that I agree with James that Richard Schickel is a boring and self-opinionated speaker who makes several errors in his audio commentary on "Gentleman's Agreement." He should listen to the Ken Barnes commentaries on Universal's "Citizen Kane" and "Holiday Inn" ( which hit a far higher standard of accuracy and clarity ). Come to think of it, maybe Schickel's dull commentaries are the very reason that Fox U.K. didn't use them.

Now, to my list of Fox requests.

Like everyone else, I would like to see a 50th Anniversary SE of "Daddy Longlegs" also the Glenn Miller band in "Sun Valley Serenade" and "Orchestra Wives" which, because of their rarity, cry out for DVD release. While neither film is a classic, who can resist seeing and hearing the Miller band in its finest period ?

I've noticed the title "The Black Swan" popping up in several lists so what about a box set of the handsome and dashing Tyrone Power - Fox's answer to Errol Flynn. "The Mark of Zorro" (1940) - which features the best sword fight ever filmed - is already on DVD ( but again, the U.S. version is blighted by another dull Schickel audio commentary ). So why not supplement it with some other Power classics "The Black Swan"(1942),
"The Razor's Edge"(1946) and "Nightmare Alley" (1947." A selection showing Power's versatility as an actor and screen personality.

I would also like to see a box set of Fox's excellent Westerns containing Fritz Lang's "Western Union" (1941), William Wellman's "The Ox Bow Incident" (1943), John Ford's "My Darling Clementine(1946) and William Wellman's "Yellow Sky" (1949).

How's that for openers ?
Jon Clements

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: 20th Century Fox Reply with quote

It's wonderful news that 20th Century Fox are shwoing some sympathy for lovers of classic films.

Of course, like everyone else, I would go for a DVD Special Edition of "Daddy Longlegs" ( particularly if Ken Barnes is involved ).

I've never seen the two Glenn Miller films but,of course, I know the soundtrack music "In the Mood" "Chattanoga Choo Choo" "It Happened In Sun Valley," "I Know Why" A Gal In Kalamzoo," At Last" and "Serenade In Blue" because I've heard the soundtrack recordings and this the Miller band at its finest.

As for Box Sets, how about a collection devoted to the late,great Gregory Peck. Apart from "12 O Clock High" and "Gentleman's Agreement," he made a lot of interesting and varied films for Fox including "Keys of the Kingdom" (1944),"Yellow Sky" (1949", "The Gunfighter,"(1950) and "The Man In The Grey Flannel Suit," (1956)

I know it's a tall order but if just a couple of these suggestions are given the class DVD treatment, I'm sure it will make many,many film buffs happy ( and there are a lot more of us out here than many of the companies realise ). I know it'll help to fill gaps in my collection.

So let's hope that it all happens.
Ray Falks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: 20th Century Fox Reply with quote

Looking at all the requests for Fox material, I'm amazed that there are so many classics that haven't been touched. I know that I would certainly be interested in most of them. Having recently bought Warners Film Noir Classics Collection (Vol 1) on Region 1 ( and I'm waiting eagerly for volume 2), it would be good to see Fox compiling a similar box from their excellent selection of 1940s thrillers - notably "Laura," " The Dark Corner,"
"Kiss of Death" and "Night and the City" Other possibles would be " I Wake Up Screaming" (aka "Hot Spot" ), "Fallen Angel" "The Street With No Name" and "Where Thje Sidewalk Ends."

As for musicals - I'd like to have "Daddy Longlegs" and the two Glenn Millers. That'll do nicely for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> 20th Century Fox All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: