laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MEET DANNY WILSON
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Sinatra and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Patmore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: MEET DANNY WILSON Reply with quote

It always strikes me as interesting that the two greatest popular singers of the 20th century - Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra - were also the two who enjoyed equal success as screen actors. Both were fine natural actors and both won Academy Awards for their acting ability. Over the last couple of years, Bing's films have been well represented on DVD - certainly in the USA - and, thanks largely to Ken Barnes, also here in the U.K. But, so far, very few of Frank's films have been issued here in the U.K. His three musicals with Gene Kelly ( Anchors Aweigh, Take Me Out To The Ball Game and On The Town ) have seen DVD release in the U.S. but not here. His 1947 musical "It Happened in Brooklyn" has not seen DVD release - even in the U.S. And what about "Robin and the Seven Hoods?" - available in the States but not here.

But the biggest shame of all is the complete absence on DVD of "Meet Danny Wilson" - a film he made for Universal in 1952 just ahead of "From Here To Eterniity" in which he sang a whole bunch of great standards and proved, for the first time, that he could really act. This, I am sure, would be a must-have DVD for all Sinatra fans and collectors. Is there any chance that Universal would release this - preferably as a Ken Barnes/Laureate production ?
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: MEET DANNY WILSON Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly agree with Ron Patmore that "Meet Danny Wilson" should be on DVD. It's never been issued in the UK on VHS and, to my knowledge, it's never even been shown on TV over here. And with all of the enduring popularity of - and continued interest in - Sinatra, it's a natural for DVD. Come on Universal, get on the ball.
M.Tellson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: MEET DANNY WILSON Reply with quote

I must admit I've never seen "Meet Danny Wilson," but every report I have heard about it suggests that this would be a natural for DVD. I'm sure that this is one film that every Sinatra admireer would buy without hesitation. I know I would.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Meet Danny Wilson Reply with quote

My thanks to Messrs. Patmore, Tellson and Fisk for bringing this film to our attention. I happened to see it quite recently and found it to be better than I remembered it. Frank is excellent as a pushy, arrogant down-on-his-luck singer who, after making an ill-advised deal with a mobster ( Raymond Burr at his menacing best ) becomes a big star and is more arrogant than before and soon alienates everyone around him until the end when he learns the value of humility and redeems himself.

This 1952 film offered the first tangible evidence that Sinatra was an actor of some substance. It also presented some of his finest on-screen singing.

Indeed, it should be on DVD. I've mentioned it at least twice to Universal. But no result so far.
Phil Jellicoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Meet Danny Wilson Reply with quote

The only decent Sinatra film in the Universal library and they don't even issue it on DVD. This matter should be corrected. Put me down for a copy.
M. Rayner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Meet Danny Wilson Reply with quote

I would just like to add my name to the requests for "Meet Danny Wilson."

Apart from being one of Sinatra's most neglected films, it's one of his most important in terms of both singing and acting
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Meet Danny Wilson Reply with quote

Yes, I agree that "Meet Danny Wilson" is a winner among Sinatra's films.
I can't understand why it's not on DVD. It's an absolute natural for the medium.

Count me in for a copy of this.
B.L.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Meet Danny Wilson Reply with quote

With Sinatra's continuing popularity with people of all ages, it really is surprising that Universal have never released a DVD of "Meet Danny Wilson." Here's another eager customer
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Tony Rome - Lady In Cement Reply with quote

I agree that "Meet Danny Wilson" is a must-have Sinatra movie. But there are a couple of non-singing Sinatras that I'd like to see on DVD - "Tony Rome" and its sequel "Lady In Cement." O.K. these two Private Eye movies may not be in the same class as "The Maltese Falcon" and "The Big Sleep" - but they're still pretty good and Frank makes a good P.I.

Maybe I should have put this in the 20th Century Fox section.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Sinatra - The Tony Rome films Reply with quote

I've just heard that Fox will be releasing both "Tony Rome" and "Lady In Cement" on DVD in the U.S. on May 24th. I don't know if there will be any extras - but as soon as I find out, I'll post it on this forum.
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and The Detective.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Sinatra's tec films Reply with quote

Yes, you're right. "The Detective" ranks as one of Sinatra's best roles.
But no sign yet of a DVD. I'm sure it will be sometime in the not too distant future.
oscar_merkx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Detective

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007PALXE/103-5459240-7027817?v=glance&s=dvd&vi=tech-info

Tony Rome

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007PALZW/qid%3D1112035362/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-5459240-7027817

Lady in Cement

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007PALZC/qid%3D1112035424/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-5459240-7027817
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: SINATRA FILM NOIR Reply with quote

Thanks Oscar for bringing this triple release of Sinatra to our attention.

Fox have certainly done Sinatra fans a big favour in releasing these three films. The two Tony Rome tales are both good of their type. But, in my opinion, it's "The Detective" that is the standout of the three. This is easily one of Sinatra's best acting performances ( standing alongside "The Man With The Golden Arm" and "The Manchurian Candidate" ). If the script had been just a little better and the editing a little smoother, this picture could have been hailed as a film noir classic to rank with "The Big Sleep"
or "Chinatown." It's still a collector's item.

While Fox have not included any extras on these three films, it's still good to have them on DVD.
E. Perry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: The Man With The Golden Arm Reply with quote

I am most interested in the new 2-disc special edition of "The Man With The Golden Arm." Do you have a release date yet ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Sinatra and his films All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: