laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preston Sturges
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Preston Sturges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Bell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Preston Sturges Reply with quote

Dear Ken Barnes,

I attended your lecture on The Films of Preston Sturges last year at Chiltern University. So, naturally, I was pleased to learn that Universal are now planning a box set of Preston Sturges' films. I was disappointed to see that two of the best titles "The Palm Beach Story" and "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" -seem to be missing. Will you be involved with this set ?
Roger Dealey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Preston Sturges Reply with quote

Yes, it's great news that Universal are at last doing a Preston Sturges box set. But it would be a shame if The Pakm Beach Story was missing. I already own the U.S. Criterion versions of Sullivan's Travels and The Lady Eve and I can't imagine Universal doing better versions - especially after seeing the disappointing job they did on the John Wayne box set.

Of course, if Ken Barnes and the Laureate team were involved, that would be a different matter. Ken's production of Citizen Kane-Special Edition is one of the best DVDs ever - and is superior to the Warner's U.S. version.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: PRESTON STURGES Reply with quote

Thanks to Alan Bell and Roger Dealey - also to the others who attempted to contact the website during our recent down period - re. Preston Sturges.

I had suggested to Universal two years ago that they should do a Preston Sturges box set - and it's good news that this is now becoming a reality.

No, I won't be working on it personally - but I've had contact from
Universal's Samantha Haycock - who is overseeing the project - and she seems very knowledgeable on the subject of Sturges. I'll give you more info. on this set as it becomes available.
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: The Preston Stuurges Box set Reply with quote

Of course, it's good news that Universal are at last doing a DVD set of Sturges. Does anybody know which titles we can expect ?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Sturges on Universal DVDs Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

In answer to your query - which is the same as 22 others I received by e-mail while the website was down - over the last week. Universal's line-up of Preston Sturges films are:

1 SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS(1941)
2 THE LADY EVE (1941)
3. HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO (1944)

The above three to be released singly starting March. For those who can wait, there'll be a box set released in August containing all three plus

4. THE GREAT McGINTY (1940)
5. CHRISTMAS IN JULY (1940)
6. THE GREAT MOMENT (1944)

At present, that's the entire list.
JIM PATTERSON

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: STURGES - The missing titles Reply with quote

Thanks, Ken for the list. But why are "The Palm Beach Story" and "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" missing ?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Sturges - the missing titles Reply with quote

Thanks, Jim for your interest in Preston Sturges. In all, I think we've had close to fifty enquiries about this forthcoming series of DVDs from Universal - most of them while the website was down.

Samantha Haycock, Universal's product manager on this project, sent me an e-mail last week explaining that the rights to "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" are held by Paramount while "The Palm Beach Stoory" and "The Great Moment" are currently being reviewed by Universal's legal team as there are some outstanding issues to resolve. Smantha has assured me that she will let me know the outcome.
E. Traynor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Preston Sturges Reply with quote

I just bought the region 2 DVD of "Unfaithfully Yours." This 1947 Sturges film comes from what is known as his down period. While it wasn't a big success when first released it has grown in stature over the years and, in my opinion, it is every bit as good as his early successes. Rex Harrison is on top form in the leading role as a would-be wife-killer and the dialogue is loaded with witty one-liners. It moves at a cracking pace and I advise anyone who loves Sturges to get this.

A few years ago, there was an indifferent re-make starring Dudley Moore in the Harrison role - but it couldn't hold a candle to the original.

Let's hope Universal are able to release "The Palm Beach Story."
J.D.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: The Best of Sturges Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly agree with E. Trayner on "Unfaithfully Yours." It belongs firmly among the best of Preston Sturges. In keeping with his best work, it moves effortlessly from subtlty to slapstick and the musical soundtrack is marvellous.

Rex Harrison gave his finest performance next to "My Fair Lady."
That series of zoom-in close-ups into Harrison's eye while he conducts the orchestra and dreams of various ways to kill his wife have never been bettered.

When it was originally released in 1948, it was considered too dark for a comedy and,in fact, contains one particularly bloodthirsty scene that must have put audiences off. Today,however, we can see just how clever Sturges was as a film maker. This film made for Fox is as good as any of the films he made for Paramount - and 50 times better than "The Great Moment" - which is the least effective of the canon.
Alan Bell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Palm Beach and Morgan'smCreek Reply with quote

I was interested to hear Universal's explanation of possible problems surrounding "The Palm Beach Story" These problems,however, do not seem to affect the U.S.A because I've just noticed on Amazon that this film will be released in the USA this month on DVD.

"The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" is available in the USA on VHS only.
Paramount released it as long ago as 1992. It enjoyed a brief outing on the now-defunct laserdisc format. But the VHS is still in the catalogue - but no sign yet of a DVD.
D.C.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Universal's Sturges Collection Reply with quote

If Universal U.S.A. can release "The Palm Beach Story" then why can't London ? I would rather see this in the forthcoming box set than "The Great Moment."
R. Falks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Sullivan's Travels Reply with quote

While I was in New York last month, I bought the Criterion DVD of "The Lady Eve" It is an excellent presentation and I'm thinking of ordering their version of "Sullivan's Travels." Will Universal be doing a special edition of this film - or will it be their usual film-only release ?
K. Dunn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Universal's Sullivan's travels Reply with quote

In response to R. Falks' question of whether to buy the Criterion or the upcoming Universal DVD, I would say - going on Universal's past record - you would be more satisfied with the Criterion version.

I recently bought Universal's elaborately-packaged Doris Day box set and found that it offered nothing in the way of extras. The difference being that Criterion always offer interesting DVDs crammed with interesting extras while Universal pay no regard to the needs of the film enthusiasts.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Universal's SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS Reply with quote

In regard to the e-mails of R. Falks and K. Dunn, I feel I should point out that Universal's upcoming DVD of SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS will contain an audio commentary by Terry Jones ( of Monty Python fame ).

I can tell you that Mr. Jones, a very amusing fellow, has long been an admirer of Preston Sturges and I'm sure his audio commentary will be both detailed and amusing. Who knows ? It might even be better than the Criterion version. At least, it's worth waiting to find out.
Keith Dunn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Universal's Sullivan's Travels Reply with quote

With all due deference to Ken Barnes ( whose work I respect ) and his asurrances that Universal have hired Terry Jones to do an audio commentary on Sullivan's Travels, I'm still hesitant about the outcome. Don't forget they engaged Patrick Wayne, Peter Bogdanovich and Harry Carey,Jr. for their John Wayne collection and they still botched it.

With Criterion you KNOW what to expect. However, I'll reserve judgement and wait for the result.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Preston Sturges All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: