laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preston Sturges
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Preston Sturges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.S.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Preston Sturges - Universal & Amazon Reply with quote

The big problem with British releases like the forthcomong Preston Sturges collection is Amazon. Unlike their American counterparts - who print detaiuls of what the releases contain - Amazon U.K. simply list the films and nothing else.

How are we supposed to know if Universal's efforts are better than Criterion's ?
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just watched The Palm Beach Story and a very nice transfer it is from Universal; good deep contrast, very few nicks or marks and decent sound. No extras, of course, on the R1 disc but a good job and a delightful movie.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: The Palm Beach Story Reply with quote

It's good to know that Universal's new R.1 "Palm Beach" is in good condition. It's no surprise that there are no extras. Universal have been criticised even more stronmgly in the USA than they have been over here.

From what I've been told so far, Universal(UK) are looking into the possibility of it being released over as part of the current collection. But no firm word as yet. Will there be extras ? I don't know.

Warners still lead the way when it comes to Special Editions and box sets.
But let's keep our fingers crossed.
Alan Bell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Sturges activity Reply with quote

I must say the Laureate website is a great place to visit for lovers of classic movie fare. It's really heartening to see so much activity surround the films of Preston Sturges. But, like everyone else, I do hope Universal take the right approach to these great films. I'm only sorry that they didn't engage Ken Barnes to produce this series.

But let's reserve judgement and see what they come up with.
S. Callan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Preston Sturges box set Reply with quote

I thoroughly agree with J.S. ( Feb 07 ) about Amazon. It would indeed be helpful if we knew what the forthcoming Sturges DVDs will contain. Why don't Universal - and the other companies - get together with Amazon and give customers the information they badly need.

And, as for the box set that Universal are doing later this year, I hope it presents the films in chronological order. And it would be nice to have full production background information like, for example, The Cary Grant Collection and The Road To.. collection. And while they're about it, why not a good documentary on the life and times of Preston Sturges. He was a wonderfully colourful character with a life story that reads like a movie in itself. Come on Universal.
Ron Patmore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Universal box sets Reply with quote

A Preston Sturges box set is good news. But since the director's output is
not exactly prolific, couldn't Universal make a deal with Paramount to license "Miracle of Morgan's Creek" ? To have all of the Stuurges Pramount pictures in one collection would make sense - especially since Paramount have not even bothered to do "Miracle" on DVD themselves.

My feelings about Universal's box sets sofar have been mixed. I agree with S. Callan that their Cary Grant and Road pictures box sets are very good. And maybe their Fred and Ginger Collection tops them all. But I wasn't too happy with the Marx Brothers or the Doris Day - which were bereft of any extras at all. Not even production notes.

Universal would do well to look at the magnificent work that Warners are doing with their box sets. Preston Sturges is one of the most interesting characters in Hollywood history, he deserves the best presentation possible.
A.D.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Universal's approach to Preston Sturges Reply with quote

The prospect of a Preston Sturges collection on DVD is great news. But I have to agree with Ron Patmore and several others that Universal's approach to classic movies is sometimes questionable. While I loved the Fred and Ginger box set ( and I'm waiting for volume 2 ), I purposely avoided the Doris Day because it was devoid of extras.

I did,however, buy the remastered version of "Young At Heart" because it was labeled as the "50th Anniversary" This implied that there would be some information included that would support this particular event. Alas, there was no further reference to the film's 50th anniversary either in the packaging or on the disc itself. Moreover, the chaptering - which should at least have guided the viewer to the songs - was so terrible that I felt like taking it back to the store. I decided to keep it only because I like the film and because it was nicely mastered. But this is no way to treat customers. Let's hope that they do a better job on Sturges.

Perhaps their initial release of "Sullivan's Travels" next month will offer some idea of what the box set will be like.
G.O

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: The Sturges collection Reply with quote

It's great to find a website that cares so much about classic movies and especially when there is so much interest in the films of Preston Sturges.

I'll be interested to see how good the upcoming Universal release of "Sullivan's Travels" is. It will have to be good to compete with Criterion's excellent and well-stocked edition. Likewise their version of of "The Lady Eve," both of which I have in my collection. However, since Universal have shown a certain passion by commissioning an audio commentary from Terry Jones ( himself a good humourist ), I might even consider purchasing a second version of "Sullivan" That is, if the disc contains further extras. Will they be doing something special for each of the films in the collection. And will they be releasing "The Palm Beach Story." ?
Charlotte Haines

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Documentary on Preston Sturges Reply with quote

What the Universal Sturges collection could do with, apart from some good audio commentaries, is a documentary on the eventful life of Preston Sturges. A few years ago there was a very good one on BBC 2. I can't remember whether it was Arena or Omnibus but I believe it was called An American Dreamer or something like that.

It was this documentary that first introduced me to the films of Sturges and it would certainly look great in a DVD collection.
Jim Tamworth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Sturges documentary Reply with quote

In answer to the message from Charlotte Haines, the full name of the BBC documentary was "Preston Sturges - The Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer," It would certainly make a great extra in Sturges box set.
Charlotte Haines

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim for the Sturges info. I just noticed on Amazon.co.uk that Universal have now changed the release date of "Sullivan's Travels" from March to April. I wonder if this means that they are giving it more extras.
I certainly hope so.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: A.B. Reply with quote

For anyone who has not bought the Criterion editions of "Sullivan's Travels" and "The Lady Eve," it's probably worth waiting to see what the Universal releases are like. But I'd be willing to bet they won't be in the same class. Their U.S. DVD of "The Palm Beach Story" offers a nice picture quality but no extras. And this is a film that cries out for a worthwhile DVD presentation.

But then Universal have been criticised time and again for their lack of
passion in presenting their classic titles. The big exceptions being "Citizen Kane" and "Holiday Inn" - both of which hit an extremely high standard.
Thanks to Ken Barnes and Laureate.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

My thanks to A.B. for the kind words regarding Citizen Kane and Holiday Inn. It was a pleasure working on these titles - but Universal considered these as prestige titles with a wide appeal. I know there is a strong feeling in the London office about the films of Preston Sturges and the fact that Terry Jones has recorded an audio commentary for "Sullivan's Travels" is a step in the right direction. Why not wait until next month before passing judgement on the Sturges collection ?

Ken Barnes
P.Maclean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: The Palm Beach Story Reply with quote

Looking through the various messages regarding Preston Sturges, I was interested to see that " The Palm Beach Story" may not be issued on DVD in the U.K. I find this rather frustrating. If Universal U.S.A can release it on DVD ( as usual without extras ) why can't Universal U.K. do the same ?
c.th.dreyer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sturges documentary Reply with quote

Jim Tamworth wrote:
In answer to the message from Charlotte Haines, the full name of the BBC documentary was "Preston Sturges - The Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer," It would certainly make a great extra in Sturges box set.

It's included on the Criterion SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS.
Yes, it's a great documentary. But I would rather see some different extras included on the British releases, for example a new documentary by Ken Barnes. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Preston Sturges All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: