laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preston Sturges
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Preston Sturges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: A new Sturges documentary on DVD Reply with quote

Thanks for your interest and the vote of confidence. I'll pass this on to Universal.

Ken
D.P.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Sullivan's Travels - which version is the best ? Reply with quote

I've been reading with interest the diverse comments on Universal's upcoming DVD series of Preston Sturges. The first release - Sullivan's Travels - should point the way to the quality of the DVDs that follow.
But even with an audio commentary by Terry Jones, I can't imagine that Universal will outshine Criterion's superb version.

I hope I'm wrong but past experience tells me that most major companies are not interested in the consumer. Warner Brothers - in the USA - is the one shining exception. Fox are coming along. Their recently released version of Otto Preminger's "Laura" has two audio commentaries and two
documentaries. This is the way to go. I hope Universal are listening.
Peter Killick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: The Palm Beach Story Reply with quote

Are Universal doing "The Palm Beach Story" in their series of Preston Sturges DVDs ? As noted, it is available in the U.S. without extras.

If Universal U.K. are not releasing it over here, I'll simply order it from the States.
D.P.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Sullivan's Travels Reply with quote

Anyone who may be interested in a good DVD of "Sullivan's Travels,"will be happy with the recent Universal UK release. The quality of print is good and the audio commentary by Terry Jones is sincere and has its amusing moments. But, as good as it, Universal's release cannot begin to compare with the U.S. Criterion edition. So if it came to a choice, skip the U.K. version and go for the best one.
J. Clements

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: The Sturges box set Reply with quote

Has anyone yet bought Universal's Preston Sturges box set ? Amazon have it on sale at £62. It's a 7-title set that omits " The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" ( which is disappointing) and includes "The Great Moment" ( which, being the director's most tiresome film is a waste of space ).

I see that all of the great titles - including "Miracle" - are now, or soon will be, released in the USA. Is the UK box worth getting ?
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Sturges box set Reply with quote

J. Clements wrote:
I see that all of the great titles - including "Miracle" - are now, or soon will be, released in the USA. Is the UK box worth getting ?

The transfers are all pretty good (those that have equivalents in the Criterion Collection are probably to my eyes at least just as good), there are very few extras, the box is quite pretty - but quite honestly at the price they are currently asking it's just not worth it. Wait for it to go into the sales.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Universal's Sturges box set Reply with quote

I'm afraid I must agree with mcgroadster's assesment of Universal's Sturges set. On the one hand, it's nice that Universal are doing box sets of classic films, but by and large they're not being produced with the same care, knowledge and skill as Warner Brothers are doing in the States. The John Wayne set - which could have been wonderful - was put together in such a sloppy fashion that it has proved to be something of a disappointment to most people who bought it. And that isn't just my opinion.

A couple of years ago when I was engaged by Universal to produce special editions of CITIZEN KANE & HOLIDAY INN and the earliest of their box sets, the reviews were encouraging and the sales, I understand, were above average. In some cases ( KANE and the FRED AND GINGER set, for example) I have received complimentary letters and e-mails running into the thousands. So many,in fact, that I have found it impossible to answer them all personally.

So what went wrong between Universal and myself ? I don't know - and I'm not in a position to guess. I think that Universal's box sets are now being handled in-house and by a different bunch of people. There may well be an economic reason for this.

To come back to Sturges. DVD-wise, nothing compares with the Criterion releases. They cost more but they offer terrific value. To date, they have done three Sturges titles - SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS, THE LADY EVE and - my own personal favourite - UNFAITHFULLY YOURS. If you can afford the price, I would unhesitatingly recommend these to all who are interested in Sturges.

Universal's box set,on the other hand, does contain CHRISTMAS IN JULY and the excellent HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO. So if one is prepared to endure THE GREAT MOMENT ( Sturges' least impressive film ), it offers fair value for money. That is, if all you want are the films.

I have had nothing to do with the second volume of FRED AND GINGER - and neither has Fred's daughter, Ava ( We both offered our services to Universal and received no response ) So it will be interesting to see if the new one contains any special features.

In defence of Universal, I will say that their Region 2 box set of classic horror films of the '30s and '40s is top notch and quite surpasses the American version. So they can do it when they try.
J.Kellett

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Preston Sturges and Laureate Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Barnes,

I have a good many of the DVDs that you produced. I rate them as high, if not higher, in quality than Criterion's general output. Certainly, your presentation of Citizen Kane ( for Universal ) was more satisfying and more penetrating in detail than the Warner Brothers Region 1 version.
Also your superb production of Frank Capra's Meet John Doe is of such a high standard that I can't understand why Universal have not called upon you to do the entire Preston Sturges series.

Are you still working on DVDs and,if so, can we expect something interesting in the future ?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Box Sets & Special Edition DVDs Reply with quote

Dear J. Kellett,

Thanks you for your enthusiastic comments about my work as a DVD producer. I have not given up DVD production by any means. This month sees the release in the USA of a Special 50th Anniversary Edition of
Otto Preminger's THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM for Hart Sharp Video and, in the spring of 2006, Fox will be releasing the much-requested
DADDY LONG LEGS starring Fred Astaire amd Leslie Caron. This will feature an audio commentary by Fred's daughter, Ava and myself with archive interview material from the film's songwriter, Johnny Mercer.

I should point out that DVD production is only one of many things that the Laureate Comapny is involved in. We produce commercials, documentaries and music albums. In addition to this we run a music publishing company and a consultancy firm. In addition to this, I am researching a book on Hollywood that I hope to write next year.

It is my belief,however, that the DVD in the future will be aimed more and more at the dedicated film buff. Such major companies as Warner, Paramount and Fox are already aware of this. Universal's DVD product will, I am sure, improve in time. It will be in their interest to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Universal's Sturges box set Reply with quote

Ken Barnes wrote:
...So what went wrong between Universal and myself ? I don't know - and I'm not in a position to guess. I think that Universal's box sets are now being handled in-house and by a different bunch of people. There may well be an economic reason for this.

I have had nothing to do with the second volume of FRED AND GINGER - and neither has Fred's daughter, Ava ( We both offered our services to Universal and received no response )

That's very sad (on so many fronts); their upcoming 'King Kong' set is another prime example of how not to do it.

Ken Barnes wrote:
In defence of Universal, I will say that their Region 2 box set of classic horror films of the '30s and '40s is top notch and quite surpasses the American version. So they can do it when they try.

Which set is that Ken?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Universal's Horror films box Reply with quote

Dear Guest,

I was referring to THE MONSTER LEGACY ( Universal Region 2 ) which contains no less than 13 discs ( 5 more than the U.S. version ). It retails at £84 but can be obtained from Amazon for less than £60.

Thoroughly recommended.
R. Devlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Sturges Box set Reply with quote

I recently bought Universal's box set of Preston Sturges and while most of the films are great ( I could have done without "The Great Moment" ), I am disappointed at the lack of extras. Even the Terry Jones audio commentary on "Sullivan's Travels" falls flat. It's pleasant enough and one never doubts Mr. Jones' fondness for Sturges' work. But he is hardly an expert and his lack of real inside knowledge shows.

What I was hoping for was a commentary like the one Ken Barnes gives on Universal's "Citizen Kane." What's the matter with Universal ? Why can't they take a leaf out of the Warner Brothers book and give us extras to savour and to treasure.
S. Pether

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Sturges in a box-Universal style Reply with quote

I must agree with R. Devlin re. Universal's box set of Preston Sturges. Here was a great opportunity to do a definitive collection of this director's best work. And what do they do ? They include "The Great Moment" and exclude "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek." And while we do get all the other great ones from "McGinty" to "Conquering Hero," there are no real extras to speak of. It's nice to have the Terry Jones commentary on "Sullivan's Travels" but he's hardly an expert. What's needed is the kind of commentary that Ken Barnes gives on "Citizen Kane" If Universal were smart enough to hire Ken for that, how come they missed out on this ?

I recently picked up Laureate's DVD of Frank Capra's "Meet John Doe" and this is an amazingly well-produced disc. Ken's commentary - which also includes archive comments by Capra himself from a 1981 interview -but also three ( count 'em ) THREE featurettes all specially written and directed by Ken. But this is Laureate NOT Universal.

Come on, Universal, wake up and talk to Ken.
D,C.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Universal and their catalogue Reply with quote

If Universal didn't have such a good catalogue of classic films, I could understand their complacent attttude to the DVD buyer. The Preston Sturges box set is fine for the casual buyer, but the people who like Sturges are anything but casual. They expect something more for their money and with Universal they don't get it. The only possible appeal that this box can have is for the Sturges completist. Why ? Because it contains "The Great Moment" and "Christmas In July" - neither of which is available in the USA.
D. Waites

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Universal's attitude Reply with quote

I can only agree with the other messages regarding Universal's box set of Preston Sturges. It's nice to have these films on DVD but it would have been even nicer if they had given us something worthwhile in the way of extras. Mentally, they're still living in a VHS world, when will they learn that this is the age of DVD ?

The first volume of FRED AND GINGER was beautifully presented ( better even than Warners U.S. set in terms of information and presentation. Now, we learn that the long=awaited volume 2 is about to be released.
Will this be in the same style ( or non-style) of the Stuurges and Doris Day box sets ? Just the films and no extras ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Preston Sturges All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: