laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swashbucklers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.Melton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Swashbucklers Reply with quote

Congratulations on following up the suggestion of Steve Marcus and forming a separate forum for Swashbuckler and - for 20th Century Fox.

From what I see on the Laureate website, there is a strong interest in the classic swashbucklers. Once again, it's Warners who are leading the field with wonderful DVDs of "The Adventures of Robin Hood," "Scaramouche," "Ivanhoe" and - hooray - the forthcoming box set on Errol Flynn. Fox have given us a good DVD of "The Mark of Zorro"(1940) - although this is let down only slightly by a dull audio commentary from the dreaded Richard Schickel ( who seems to have a problem showing enthusiasm for anything ). But congratulations nevertheless for "Zorro" - now is it true that they are doing a Special Edition of "The Black Swan" ? This is the best pirate film ever made - vastly superior to "Pirates of the Caribbean."
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: New Forum Reply with quote

Thanks to Steve Marcus for suggesting this forum - and to T. Melton for endorsing it. I'm sure it will be visited often.
M. Brookstone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: The Sea Hawk vs The Black Swan Reply with quote

It's good to see a forum dedicated to the Swashbucklers, thanks to the success of "Pirates of the Caribbean" we've had a whole spate of successful DVDs of classic swashbucklers.

I was interested in T. Melton's message ( Feb 8 ) in which he regarded "The Black Swan" as superior to "Captain Blood." He'll probably get quite a few arguments on this - but speaking for myself, I like both films equally. "The Black Swan," of course, benefits from its dazzling colour photography and it's great sense of pace. It only runs 85 minutes as opposed to the 1935 "Captain Blood" which runs a more leisurely 119 minutes. Both films,however, are a delight and now that "Captain Blood" and "The Sea Hawk" are soon to make their DVD debut - both in Special Editions and a box set - how about Fox giving us a S.E. of "The Black Swan." ?
Chris Macey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Swashbuckling is good business Reply with quote

Firstly, it's good to see a forum on the Laureate website devoted to swashbucklers. I'm 23 and got turned on to this cinematic genre after seeing "Pirates of the Caribbean." Since then, my father played me videos of Errol Flynn in "THe Adventures of Robin Hood" and "The Sea Hawk" - which showed just why Errol Flynn is the king of all swashbucklers. I immediately bought the great 2-disc DVD edition of "Robin Hood." Now, I want to collect all of the great swashbuckling movies.

I also bought Tyrone Power in "The Mark of Zorro" and if "The Black Swan" is half as good, you can put me down for a copy.

Any other suggestions that might be interesting ?
Tom Heyman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: 10 Best Swashbucklers Reply with quote

I;m glad that Steve Marcus suggested a separate forum for Swashbucklers and delighted that Ken Barnes has organised it.

This is a cinematic genre that is fast coming back into favour. I notice that several people have suggested a Tyrone Power box set - which I would be happy to purchase. While Power didn't make as many swashbucklers as Flynn, the ones he did make are excellent and would earn a place in my top ten swashbucklers - which looks like this;

1. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - Flynn
2. The Sea Hawk (1940) - Flynn
3. The Mark of Zorro (1940) - Power
4. The Black Swan (1942) - Power
5. The Three Musketeers (1948) - Gene Kelly
7. Scaramouche (1952) - Stewart Granger
8. Captain Blood (1935) - Flynn
9. The Prisoner of Zenda (1937) - Ronald Colman
10. Master of Ballentrae (1953) - late period Flynn but still enjoyable.

There are some others I could mention but I would imagine that any list of the great "swashes" would have to include at least five or six of the above. The great news is that most of them are now on DVD - and that's a great comment on the developing market for this exciting genre.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Best Swashbucklers Reply with quote

Thanks Tom. That's a great list. When I get time I'll lay out my own list of favourites. In the meantime, is there anyone else who cares to give us their list ?

Ken
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: 10 Best Swashbucklers - and why Reply with quote

I've been giving some thought to my list of the ten best swashbucklers - and why they're my favourites.

1. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
Quite simply, this is as near-perfect as a film could be. It's the best telling of the Robin Hood legend with Errol Flynn the embodiment of that legend. It has the perfect cast, a superb score,solid direction and still looks as good as the day it was shot.

2. Scaramouche (1952).
An impeccable swashbuckler that successfully mixes comedy and tragedy. Stewart Granger is ideal in the lead role of a man bent on revenge and Mel Ferrer is perfect as his sneering adversary. Boasts the longest sword duel in screen history ( almost 7 minutes ). Beauitfully shot and solidly directed.

3. The Sea Hawk (1940) Once again, Errol Flynn proves that he is unmatched when playing the gallant hero. Again, this is the Warner Brothers machine at its most impressive. Erich Wolfgang Korngold's score is probably the best ever written for a swashbuckler. Some people rate this film higher than "Robin Hood" - and while I don't agree, I certainly wouldn't argue. Unlike the 1924 silent version, which was based on Rafael Sabatini's novel, this is an original screenplay that was designed as a morale booster at the start of World War 11. King Philip of Spain - bent on world domination - is likened to Hitler. Flynn's character, Captain Thorpe, is based on Sir Francis Drake and the script - though pure fiction - contains several true historical references. The sea battle at the start of the picture is an masterpiece that has never been bettered. A literate script and Flynn in top form make this a must.

4. The Mark of Zorro (1940) Tyrone Power was Fox's answer to Errol Flynn and in this, his first swashbuckler, he proves to be perfect casting.
Director,Rouben Mamoulian has created what is still the most intelligent and wholly enjoyable version of the much-filmed Zorro tale. The climactic sabre duel between Power and Basil Rathbone is tremednously exciting.Staged in a single room and not as spectacular as the "Robin Hood" Flynn-Rathbone encounter, it is an unparalled masterpiece of screen swordplay. Power, though doubled in two shots, was trained in fencing and aquits himself admirably against the accomplished Rathbone (also doubled in two shots ) and the result - with no accompanying music - is.to my mind, the best swordfight ever filmed. Alfred Newman's score adds grandeur to a most satisfying film.

5. THE BLACK SWAN (1942) Power's second swashbuckler based on Rafael Sabatini's novel is stylishly adapted by Seton I. Miller (co-writer of the 1940 "The Sea Hawk" ) and the much-respected Ben Hecht. The dialoge fairly bubbles with great lines. Power's character is a far cry from the gallant and courteous hero played by Flynn. Instead he is seen as a surly thug and his treatment of leading lady, Maureen O'Hara would be seen by today's feminist movement as "politically incorrect." Despite his brutish attitude there is something charming about Power's "Jamie Boy." though Darryl F. Zanuck was worried about his drooping moustache and general "un-handsome" appearance. Once again, Alfred Newman delivers a wonderfully rollicking score and Leon Shamroy's ravishingTechnicolor
photography deservedly won an Academy Award. A red-headed,red-bearded George Sanders and a leering Anthony Quinn ( with an eye patch ) make fine villains. But it is Laird Cregar as Captain Henry Morgan who virtually steals the picture whenever he is on screen. The film runs a brief 85 minutes but, thanks to director Henry King, every minute counts and the climactic battle and fast-moving sword fight with Power and Sanders make for a perfect wrap-up to a most satisfying swashbuckler.

5. Captain Blood (1935) Warner Brothers, known mainly for their gangster yarns and Busby Berkeley musicals, seeing the success of such titles as "The Count of Monte Cristo," "Treasure Island" and "The Mutiny On The Bounty" decided to remake the silent sucess "Captain Blood."
Their first choice in the lead was Robert Donat - but when he diopped out, the role was offered to one of their young contract players named Errol Flynn and they soon realised that they had discovered the fiirst great action star of the sound era. Real life adventurer and sailor Flynn, though virtually inexperienced, proved a natural in the role. Seen today, the film is marred slightly by its quaint dialogue but the sense of period and design distinguishes it as a beauitfully made picture. A string of fine characters - including Basil Rathbone as a sneering French buccaneer -
add to the enjoyment. After 70 years, this is still an impressive picture.

6. The Three Musketeers (1948) This much-filmed story, to my mind, got its most rewarding treatment in this handsomely mounted 1948 MGM version. The seemingly odd casting of Gene Kelly as D'Artagnan may give the impression that this is a musical. Not to worry, Kelly delivers a spirited and acrobatic performance that owes much to Douglas Fairbanks.
In its two hours running time, it covers all of the narrative that took Richard Lester two films to present in those two disappointing outings starring Michael York in the mid-70s. Pay no attention to Leonard Maltin's
assesments of these films. It's the 1948 version that tops them all. Lana Turner was never better as Lady de Winter and Van Heflin is the most effective of all the actors to play Athos. And the swordplay will have you cheering.

7. The Count of Monte Cristo (1934). The recent remake with a miscast Jim Caviezel was a handsome-looking production but it failed to catch the spirit of this 1934 version which contains one of Robert Donat's best performances. Little has been seen of this film in the last 20-or-so years
and the old VHS which I took off TV in 1981 is in poor shape. But the film itself packs a punch that the new version lacks and is still the most potent screen version of the oft-filmed Dumas tale. The sword fight with Donat and Sidney Blackmer is O.K. - though there is a flaw in the editing where the image is flipped in a reverse angle shot and shows Blackmer fighting left-handed. You can see why this was done - the director had not shot enough coverage for a good reverse angle shot. But, sl;ight flaws apart, this is a film to relish.

8. Ivanhoe (1952 ) If Gene Kelly seemed a strange choice for D'Artagnan, Robert Taylor appeared even less suitable as Wilfred of Ivanhoe. But, once again, the acttor overcomes all obstacles and fits perfectly into the proceedings. This 1952 version of Sir Walter Scott's
famous novel makes a wonderfully satisfying film. Produced in England with MGM money and a largely British cast, well-scripted by Noel Langley, beauitfully shot by the great Freddie Young and directed at a cracking pace by American Richard Thorpe, this is one to cherish. Happily, it has just been released in the USA by our old friends at Warners.

9. The Adventures of Don Juan (1948). Errol Flynn was nearing the end of his association with Warner Brothers when he made this film. It had been 10 years since he had made "Robin Hood" - and it had been a long 10 years. This was a much troubled production beset union problems, long delays in shooting and Flynn's wild lifestyle. It took almost 18 months to complete. Yet despite the fact that Warners took shortcuts by using clips from "Robin Hood" and "Elizabeth and Essex," the film looks lavishly spectacular. Flynn is noticeably older but still devilishly handsome and the touch of cynicism that emerges from a well-written script makes him perfect for this tale of a jaded Don Juan who is tiring of his reputation as a great lover. It's a very likeable performance in an enjoyable film. Max Stiener furnished a lively Korngold-like score and the sets are and costumers are a feast for the eye. My only complaint is the general lack of action - far less than one expects in a Flynn swashbuckler. This may be due to the fact that it had the wrong director. Vincent Sherman was more accustomed to Joan Cwaford melodramas than period swashbucklers and while he gets the best out of Harry Kernitz's witty script, his staging of action is relatively sluggish. However, the final duel is quite good. Flynn
- doing all his own swordplay even in the long shots - looks every inch the master swashbuckler against Robert Douglas as the satanic Count De Lorca. Douglas was doubled by fencing master, Fred Cavens ( who staged
many great screen duels - "Robin Hood," "The Sea Hawk," "The Mark of Zorro" etc. ) and this makes a reasonably satisfying climax to a good film.
One final point though. That spectacular leap down the stairs was performed not by Flynn but by Jock Mahoney - the only stuntman in Hollywood who could do it.

10. The Master of Ballentrae (1953) I've chosen this late-period Flynn because I think it's a most underrated film. It was a toss-up between this and the previous year's "Against All Flags"( in which Errol had broken a leg doing his own stunts ) but this is realyy the better of the two films.
As an adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's famous novel, it falls short of the mark ( which is why it was so heavily criticised when first released )
but as directed by the dependable William Keighley and performed by a largely British cast, it has pace and flavour and must be counted as Flynn's last great swashbuckler ( he made a couple more but they're hardly worth bothering about ). In its short running time of just 89 minutes, it manages to tell the story of two rival brothers ( Flynn and Anthony Steel ), the Scottish rebellion against England's Redcoats then moves to the Caribbean and becomes a tale of piracy on the high seas before coming back to Scotland for a final confrontation with his brother and the Redcoats. As usal, Flynn looks great sword in hand and no one can wear period costume like he can. There's a nice performance too from Roger Livesey as his sidekick and if Beatrice Campbell lacks the charm of Olivia de Havilland this is small complaint for a film that moves as fast and delivers as much entertainment as this. It may not be vintage Flynn but it's still well above average.
Tom Heyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Top 10 Swashbucklers Reply with quote

Dear Ken Barnes,

Thoroughly enjoyed your knowledgeable rundown on your personal top 10 swashbucklers which, interestingly, is almost identical to mine.

But how come you left out "The Prisoner of Zenda" ? Most film buffs regard this as a true classic of its kind. How do you rate it ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not vintage stuff, can I also recommend Swashbuckler (1976) with Robert Shaw, just reissued by Fox in R1.

BTW, Ken, can I second your view on the sword fight in The Mark of Zorro, it really is first class. A fine list...
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Swashbuckler Reply with quote

My thanks to "Guest" for the visit and for your interest. Yes, I know a few people who like the 1976 "Swashbuckler" ( Robert Shaw, James Earl Jones,et al ) but I find the mixture of thrills and comedy doesn't quite work for me. Although I don't think it's quite as bad as the view taken by Leonard Maltin's Movies and Video Guide which states " Poorly constructed, bubble-headed picture....would make Errol Flynn turn over in his grave. Incredible waste of talent." Rated Bomb ! A bit strong perhaps.

In response to T. Melton - who sort of kicked this forum into life - I would say that I do love "The Prisoner of Zenda" - preferably the 1937 version, although I quite enjoy the 1952 Technicolor re-make. When I get a bit more time on my hands, I'll make a detailed comparison of these two films. But right now, I'm up to my eyes in work.

However, if anyone else cares to comment on "Zenda" I'm sure we'd all love to hear from them. But please NOT the 1978 Peter Sellers vcersion.
B.R

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Swashbucklers Reply with quote

If you regard "Ivanhoe" as a swashbuckler, wouldn't "El Cid" qualify. I watched this film recently in the Criterion laser disc version - and on a big screen. I was most impressed with it. Visually, it's one of the finest films I've ever seen. Intelligent script and Anthony Mann's direction is superb.
T.P.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: EL CID and the Bronstons Reply with quote

Yes, I fully agree with B.R. that El Cid is a great film - and the best of the handful of large scale films produced in Spain in the early 1960s. The others are pretty good too (with "Fall of the Roman Empire" - which is almost the same story as "Gladiator" but better directed - a standout).

Alas, there has only been one really good release of "El Cid" and that's the Criterion laserdisc version ( restored by Miramax and Martci Scorcese)
which comes with a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack replete with Overture,
Intermission and Exit Music PLUS documentaries and interviews,etc. A beautiful release that cries out for a DVD release.
Tim Craighill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: The Black Swan Reply with quote

It's good to know that there is a big demand for "The Black Swan." This is, without doubt, one of the greatest pirate movies ever. While Tyrone Power may not have the reputation of an Errol Flynn, he certainly holds his own in this ( and "The Mark of Zorro" ) and his swordplay is just as exciting to watch. The Technicolor photography ranks among the best ever seen, the supporting cast is a joy ( especially Laird Cregar as Henry Morgan ) and the action climax (which includes a great sword duel between Power and and a red-bearded George Sanders) is a knockout.

Please add my name to all the other visitors who are keen to see this
classic swashbuckler on DVD
J.S.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: The Black Swan-Tyrone Power Reply with quote

I fully agree with Tim Craighill and all the others who have requested "The Black Swan" for DVD. Now that Warners have anounced the Eroll Flynn Signature Collection for April release ( in the US ), this gives us the best of Flynn's swashbucklers - "Captain Blood" and "The Sea Hawk" ( after "Robin Hood" -already on DVD ) - so it would be a good idea for Fox to do a Tyrone Power collection incorporating "The Black Swan" and "Captain From Castile" in addition to his best dramatic roles in "Nightmare Alley" and "The Razor's Edge." Throw in "The Mark of Zorro" and "The Prince of Foxes" for good measure and I'm sure they'll find a multitude of customers to snap it up.
Tom Heyman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: The Prisoner of Zenda Reply with quote

Dear Ken Barnes,

You said that, as soon as you had some time to spare, you would give us your appraisal of "The Prisoner of Zenda." That was almost two months ago. When may we expect to hear from you on this subject ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Swashbucklers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: