laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Warner's Astaire/Rogers 5 DVD Boxset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: New Warner's Astaire/Rogers 5 DVD Boxset Reply with quote

Any reactions to this? The forum has been quiet of late!

I have to wait until my degree grant comes before I buy it, annoyingly - hard up till then! Wink

However good the Warners set is, I'm sure the wonderful introductions on the Laureate set will never be surpassed or rendered useless!

Dominic
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Warners Astaire-Rogers Reply with quote

Hi Dominic,

Yes, the website has been quiet of late. But there have been plenty of visitors. Strangely, there has been no communication re. the Warners Fred and Ginger. But, I have just returned from an extended business trip to the U.S. and, while in L.A., I had lunch at Warners with George Feltenstein and he told me he was very pleased with the success of the set. I asked him when part two would be released and he told me it would be in August of next year. Exactly one year after the first one.

I also had a meeting at Fox where I was told that "Daddy Long Legs" will be issued in the spring of next year. The other good news is that they want me to do more audio commentaries for them. I am suggesting a number of titles and I should have some news soon on this.

Thanks for getting in touch
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Fred & Ginger box set & another film Reply with quote

Hello Dominic and hello of course Ken. Hope you are both well. I was wondering if Warners had any plans to release the Fred & Ginger box sets in region 2? Being a bit of a Fred & Ginger nut I have been waiting patiently ever since Ken's box set (which was a great release and I still watch every week or two) but nothing has happened.
I know that the Astaire & Rogers Collection, Vol. 1 (Top Hat / Swing Time / Follow the Fleet / Shall We Dance / The Barkleys of Broadway) is out on region 1 but I don't like to buy region 1 editions because of obvious difficulties.
I do have one other question although it is only related to Ginger. The Thirteenth Guest (aka - Lady Beware) (1932) (Ginger Rogers) is a film I have been looking for on dvd for a long time and know that it is aslo available for region 1 but would also like it as region 2. This is a great film because I love spooky old house films of the 30s & 40s and Ginger Rogers so this is a must have for me. I would really like to find out where I could get this.
OK, thanks in advance for whatever reply you come up with. I actually have another question but it is related to Veronica Lake so I'll go to the correct area for that one.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: FRED AND GINGER Reply with quote

Dear Peter,

Thanks for your note, which I'll answer in two parts. With a third part to follow in a couple of days or so.

Firstly, Warner Brothers are unable to release their RKO product outside of the USA - so if you want the Warner presentation, you will have to order it in Region 1. Part 2 in the Warner series ( which completes the entire Astaire-Rogers canon ) will be issued in August of 2006.

Secondly, the Region 2 Fred and Ginger, the first volume of which I produced for Universal, will continue in January, 2006 when the second volume ( which I did not produce ) will be released. The setback with Universal is that they do not own ALL the Fred & Gingers. "Roberta" and "The Barkleys of Broadway" belong exclusively to Warners and these are the only two that they can issue on a worldwide basis. Confusing, isn't it ?

As for the Ginger Rogers and her pre-Fred film "The Thirteenth Guest," I'll do a little research on this and get back to you in a couple of days.

Best
Ken
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Hello Ken,
Thank you for your quick and very helpful (as usual) reply. So in January, 2006 the second volume will be released. Why did you not produce it? No, let me guess. Some little executive took that decision, one who wouldn't have a clue about anything outside of 'Watch With Mother.'
I really do get angry at the decisions these people make. Did your collection not sell well? Of course it did, it wouldn't sell more no matter. Did it not receive high praise from all quarters? Of course it did, it was an exceptional box set (one I love).
Well that's my ranting at learning you are not doing the next one.
Thanks for your speedy and ver helpful reply Ken, you are as ettentive as usual

Peter
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Fred & Ginger. Vol 2 ( Region 2 ) Reply with quote

Thanks, Peter, for your comments on the quality of volume 1 of Fred and Ginger. I know it was a both a critical and commercial success. The amount of complimentary mail, messages and phone calls, that both Ava I received was really overwhelming.

Why Universal didn't commission us to do the second volume. I don't know. We did offer our services for volume two and i didn't get a response. Not even a polite "No thanks." Go figure !

Mark Fisk - who moderates this site - said he would write to them. I don't yet know if he got a reply. But I'm too busy right now to pursue it. Happily, Ava and I recently completed "Daddy Long Legs" for Fox which will be released in February in the USA. I expect a Region 2 release will follow later in the year.

Thanks for your support.

Best
Ken
Phil Jellicoe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Universal's Fred & Ginger -2nd box Reply with quote

Universal's first Fred & Ginger box set was - and is - a definitive package.
It was package that all collectors were happy to buy and it came out at a time when there was very little Astaire-Rogers on the market.

Since then,of course, Warners ( in the U.S. only ) have begun their quest of bringing the entire output of Fred & Ginger to DVD, Their presentation is good and loaded with extras - but not as enjoyable or as factually fascinating as the original Ken Barnes presentation for Universal. Without Ken's incisive knowledge and Ava Astaire McKenzie's personal reflections of her father's work, I can see no point in buying this second volume.
Especially since Warners are offering ALL TEN titles of Fred and Ginger PLUS some enjoyable extras.

Universal, I'm sorry to say, have missed the boat on this one.
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Fred & Ginger. Vol 2 ( Region 2 ) Reply with quote

Hello Ken,
That was quite an eye-opener for me as I find that sort of attitude more than annoying. It is really unbelievable that they not only didn't ask, no, plead with you to do the next box set, but they didn't even have the manners to discuss as to why they were not going with you. My rantings of earlier were close to the truth I think as I cannot see a gentleman EVER having an attitude like that, even in business.
Well I would like to say that Phil (above) has hit the nail on the head and I totally agree with him. Unfortunately, I will be getting it though. there are two reasons:
The first is so I can compare it to Ken's and see just what I have as ammunition when I write to them at a later date. Yes, when not if because from what I've seen of it up to now (on the net), it is already a failure. To what degree I will see (I have an eagle eye) Wink
The second is simply because I love these two and think there has never been a better team as far as all round entertainment goes and there more than likely willl never be again.
I will also end up getting the Warners version too when it is released as a complete 10 disc box set in region 2 as I have no doubt they cannot torture us for much longer.
Well sorry this is a bit long. Thanks again for all your help Ken. I will of course let you know when I have seen Universal's vol 2 and written to them. But I suppose you know as well as me that they probably won't even read it let alone reply. Listening to people has been the problem for a long time now.

Peter
Celia Hall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Universal's Fred & Ginger Reply with quote

I totally agree with both Phil and Peter about Universal's attitude re- the Astaire-Rogers films. Having started out with a superb box set put together with skill and care by Ken Barnes and Fred's daughter, Ava, I can't understand why they wouldn't want to continue such a winning format. It will be interesting hear Peter's views on Volume 2, although I have already decided not to buy it because of the lack of extras. It's the Warner Brothers set for me from now on.

I have several Laureate/Ken Barnes DVDs in my collection and the standard of presentation is generally far higher than many American companies. His Region 2 production of HOLIDAY INN ( which has just been re-released ) is an absolute gem. Anyone who is interested in Fred Astaire would be well-advised to add this to their Christmas list.

My family are all fans of the great musicals, which is why we are all looking forward to Ken's work on 20th Century Fox's "Daddy Long Legs"
due for U.S. release on February 21,2006.

Keep up the good work, Ken
Ron Patmore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Universal U.K. Reply with quote

Hi Mark

I was interested to see remarks by yourself, Peter and others regarding Universal ( U.K.). I have come to the sorry conclusion that there is not one person in the London office who gives a damn about classic movies.
They just don't like spending time - or money - on titles for which they have no interest.

On the other hand, I heard from a reliable source that they spent far too much on their campaign for "Shrek 2" and overestimated its success.
As a result, they over-pressed and were left with an excess of ONE MILLION copies. Smart ?

Yes, I'll be happy to write to Universal on this matter. Do you have a name and an address ? Let's see how attentive they are.
J.Berwick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Fred & Ginger Reply with quote

I only recently obtained Universal's Fred & Ginger box set and found it very satisfying - especially the personal introductions from Fred Astaire's daughter, Ava which were beautifully photographed and included so many fascinating inside details about the making of the films.

On learning that there was to be a second box set, I ordered it immediately. But now, having learned that it won't include any further introductions from Ava or any of the details and anecdotes that made the first set so delightful, I am going to cancel it and go instead for the Warner region 1 collection. What a pity !
Ron Patmore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Universal's Special Features Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark for the Universal address. I shall certainly write to them and I hope everyone else does too.

I have just purchesed Warner's Region 1 Collector's Edition of KING KONG (1933) - the film which, along with Fred and Ginger, saved RKO from going under in the 1930s. It's a really superb 2-disc package that I can recommended to anyone who loves classic movies. As coincidence would have it, Universal have also released their new DVD of KING KONG.

Special features ? Yes - the theatrical trailer for Peter Jackson's new version. And that's your lot.

As with FRED AND GINGER, it's Warner Brothers for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: