laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fred & Ginger Boxset 2 repackaging?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaukoojack

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Fred & Ginger Boxset 2 repackaging?! Reply with quote

Just browsing the Amazon.co.uk site for any new Astaire releases and I noticed that, along with the release of the single DVDs, Universal have repackaged the Fred & Ginger Collection 2 as just 'Fred & Ginger', with a new photograph on the front. Does anyone have any idea why? I did leave a disparaging (but truthful) review after buying the original release (which doesn't now appear on the new one!), but I'm certain that wouldn't have made any difference. Perhaps they have had a change of heart, remastered them and that's why the package has changed - with their previous attitude I think that would be highly unlikely! Confused
beaukoojack

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: sorry my fault Reply with quote

yeah you're right Mark it's just that they have the wrong description, they only list the four latter discs in the description, although they show it as an eight disc set.
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this thoroughly despicable 8 DVD boxset on sale in HMV yesterday for £14.99 - an indication, perhaps, that the public aren't as foolish as Universal might like to think...

I'm looking forward to my Region 1 boxset of the Warners version of the remaining titles, which still hasn't arrived from Amazon. Anyone got it yet?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Astaire-Rogers Reply with quote

I bought the first volume last year. This years, I'm going for the Partial complete collection available only from Amazon.com. It contains ALL of the artwork and extras on volume two PLUS space to insert the five discs from last year. Very good idea.

As for Universal, I hear that the first volume is still selling well - but the second one has been a disappointment. Even putting the 8 films in one box didn't work. Have they learned their lesson ? You tell me.
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've ordered the Partial one, too. It arrived on Tuesday, in fact, and so far I've watched Roberta and the bonus DVD documentary 'Partners in Rhythm'.

It's perhaps a bit disappointing that (so far as I could tell on a brief look) they've decided against producing mini-documentary bonuses for each movie, but I love the press books for Shall We Dance and Roberta. And the picture/sound quality of Roberta was pretty good.

As for Partners in Rhythm, it's a bit superficial, but it was nice to see old interviews with Ginger and Hermes Pan and the contributions from Ava Astaire McKenzie were also good.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: aSTAIRE rOGERS Partial set Reply with quote

I imagine the interviews with Fred and Ginger come from the BBC's "RKO Story" Yes ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: