laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warners Astaire & Rogers Volume 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rego

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Warners Astaire & Rogers Volume 2 Reply with quote

With eager anticipation I opened the recently arrived package from the States.

After seeing the poor quality of the UK universal release, I decided to wait for the Warner Brothers release of Volume 2 Astaire & Rogers collection.

I reiterate the comments made by others on the forum. That whilst there are a lot of extras included on the DVD’s with this set, most of these are really not relevant to films although they are a nice addition.

The real disappointment with this DVD set, is the lack of the wonderful commentaries & insights as provided on the Laureate Volume 1 set by Ken & Ava.

However, in the main the restoration of all the films included in this set is excellent Flying Down To Rio, Carefree, The Story Of Vernon & Irene Castle, Roberta, and apart for the soundtrack on the Gay Divorcee, which does leave a great deal to be desired I would rate the overall quality of this set as excellent.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Fred & Ginger Reply with quote

Thanks, Rego, for your kind words about the UK "Fred & Ginger" - in which it was a pleasure, as always, to work with Fred's daughter,Ava.
I'm happy to note that this was a bigger seller than Vol 2. I tried to persuade certain people at Universal that Ava and I should continue the theme with Vol 2. They wouldn't listen and, unfortunately, the second volume was produced without any regard for the consumers and the inevitable happened. It didn't sell in anything like the quantities of the first volume.

Looking on the bright side,however, Warners have been able to produce a good-looking set that encompasses the entire Astaire-Rogers canon. But I do wish they had paid some attention to the print quality of "The Barkeleys of Broadway." This is quite the worst rendering of this film that I've ever seen. Butm by and large, this set is worth having even if the extras are a little uneven at times.
Rego

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just taken delivery of the latest offeing from Warners "Clasic Musicals of the Dream Factory Vol 2" This includes The Belle Of New York and Royal Wedding along with 5 other hollywood musicals [see the link]

http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index/?cid=160224

Once again Warners have done their usual magic, both sound and picture quality of the DVD's is excellent. Complete with a whole load of extras, It's a must have for any fans of the Hollywood Musical.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: From the Dream Factory Reply with quote

This second volume of "Dream Factory" is a very good release. My only complaint is that we have to endure not one but TWO Mario Lanza vehicles. A powerful voice to be sure, but I've always found him difficult to stomach. But the rest of the package is fine. Let's hope that Warners give us a 3rd volume.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: